Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow Oil Change

virden

Changed the oil and filter in my S3 1700 supersprint. The build manual said capacity was 3.3litres. Duly drained sump and changed the filter. On filling up I put in 3.3 lts from my 4 lts oil can. No problem then? That is until I tried the dip stick and found the sump was way over full. To cut a long story short, I turned the engine over until 1 bar showed ( no plugs), allowed the oil two hours to settle but it was still over full. In the end I had to drain over half a litre to get the level on the dip stick down to full.

Where did I go wrong?

Importantly, I am taking it to Le mans (1200miles) should I fit an oil cooler?

I went to Santa Pod and my world changed forever.

Dry it's 3.3 litres, but drained down there will always be an amount adhering to the sides, in the oilways that don't drain, sitting in the sump etc. I use an old oil container for the drained oil, then pour back in from the new the same amount.

Simples!

As to an oil cooler, if it's on the road driving, I wouldn't bother. However, if you're entered at Le Mans, I'd think about a cooler and a dry sump too 😬

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

It might also be an issue regarding what type of sump you have fitted. I believe the cut down sump can change the correct level shown on the dipstick, though not sure if this is below or above the stamped in top /bottom level in marks on the dipstick. The guy who built my engine put in a cut mark which showed a different 'Full' level from the Ford marks.

I have been advised that my problem may lie with the tube holding the dipstick, which apparantly is often fitted incorrectly on Xflows. I am therefore going to drain the car down again, then refill it with the 3.3Ltrs the sump should hold and mark up the dip stick accordingly. The sump is the original fitment, not a shortened version.

I went to Santa Pod and my world changed forever.

If you are going to Le Mans, the best thing to do is fit a switch on the cooling fan - this is an easy mod and you can wire it into the heater blower switch on the dash, if , like many crossflows, you don''t have a heater.

When in the many jams at LM you just switch it in before the thermostat cuts the fan in and have a nice cool engine.

Have a great Le Mans

Crossflow 1600 Sprint

http://cargeek.spaces.live.com

Edited by - RobW on 8 May 2009 14:35:58