Click here if you are having website access problems ×

XF Engine, Safe?

Ralph

Just need a bit of practical advice, I know I need to send the engine to Vulcan for a rebuild (145 Spec) but can’t afford it yet. Rings are shot and engine sounds like a bag of nails.

My question is should I continue to drive it (still starts with no problem) or am I likely to do any more damage to me or the car.

I can just get the engine out and refurbish other bits of the car until I get some more cash as I am now one of Gordon Browns statistics.

White 1600XF (Soon to be White 1700XF)

If this was me i'd certainly not be running the engine unnecessarily especially if you say it sounds like a bag of nails. No point making it any worse than it already is.

Out of interest do you have any ideas what is causeing all the noise ?

No i'd amuse myself by doing all those jobs you keep on meaning to do and then hand over your xflow to Vulcan Engineering in as best a condition as possable when you have the funds available for a rebuild.

Gordon.

Everything in our favour is dead against us.

Given that X- Flow blocks are in very short supply and if you have an AX block it is worth around £500 in good condition then you could end up in a worse case if a land and ring let go and cause severe damage to your block. *thumbup*

Other items are also impossible to obtain new like pushrods and standard rockers, so if it did let go then you could have a big repair bill ! ☹️

Thanks Gordon / Peter

I think you have just confirmed what I already suspected; I have been running it since I bought it a year ago, it’s always had a slight rattle at the front of the engine.

Unfortunately for me the bag of nails sound has only been noticeable since last week when I took a Blat down the M4, sounds more like a sewing machine than a seven and is as loud as the exhaust.

Time to get my spanners out I guess

Don’t think it’s the tappets, I am sure of one thing and that is the rings are gone as one pot is 70 PSI lower than the rest. (Did the wet test and the psi goes up about 30 PSI)

They are all a lot lower than two years ago when the last owner had them checked and number 2 pot was lower on a second test I did a few weeks after the 1st test