Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series won't start, not starter motor!!

Tim Smith

My K series engined car won't start after I got it out of the garage for the first time in 2 weeks and washed it.

It's not the usual starter motor gremlins as the fuel pump isn't working when the ignition comes on. There's not solonoid thunk, only a faint click (relay?) when I press the button. Given that it's these 2 things any ideas?

Immobiliser? I have a Toad system but it all appears to be working as normal but I assume that the fuel and starter will be the two things it affects?

Anyone any bright ideas?

Tim

Last time I had a similar problem the problem was hundreds of error messages within the ECU.

Solved by Auto electrician using his analyser to clear the error messages. (Gives me a reason to buy one!!!)

What caused the error messages....I don't know, but I had run a hot engine for about 10 minutes...thermostat failure, followed by a cold engine for about 3 hours....no thermostat!

Enjoy,

Mike

(aka VII SVN)

How did you wash it? Not with a jetwash I hope...?

FWIW, the Rover immob doesn't stop the starter from running - or the fuel-pump AFAIK - leaving you to churn away until your battery dies - so I'd *guess* that your immob doesn't do any different.

My money (having been there in many guises) is that you've sodded an earth.

Let's check the starter, shall we? Identify the solenoid wire, make sure the car is out of gear. Go check again. And again if you're nose-first into a garage - or have your beemer in front of you (or your Focus in my case - but I digress...).

Fine a good, solid wire and touch the battery positive to the solenoid contact (might be easiest with a helper). Expect a spark - 'quite safe', but exciting. If that kicks the starter at all, your earthing problem is probably with the relays, MFRU or whatever. If nothing happens at all, let us know!

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I'll try the thump to the MFRU later, a friend and I are going to have a go at it later. We'll also be giving Myles' batter straight to the solenoid idea. Hopefully we can narrow it down to either the MFRU or a problem with the immobiliser.

Tim

Thanks to a bodge that Mav showed to Simon who then showed it to me we appear to have fixed it. However I still don't understand what we've done only that it works:

Basically we opened up the loom coming from the ECU/MFRU and found a brown wire to pink wire spade connector. We then split the spade connector and connected the brown wire direct to the +ve side of the battery, leaving the pink wire disconnected.

So what exactly have I done? Is this a bodge for the long term and what does it tell me about the cause of the problem? Have I simply bypassed the MFRU and need to buy a new one?

Tim

You haven't bypassed MFRU but you have bypassed feed to ECU from car loom That spade connector is prone to being problematic Cut off terminals and recrimp new ones Had to do it on a few now *wink*

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

yep Fuse 14 is ECU fuse input is cross linked to input of 11 and 12 fed direct from battery One of two brown wires on battery.

If you managed to get car to run by connecting Brown that is connected to Pink/[Purple actually] at spade connector Then fault can only be either at fuse box or battery.

I suggest you replace 20amp in 14 with a 30 amp new fuse and also check Battery + terminal for dis caused by corrosion.

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

if not checked, thick +ve terminal at starter motor end , I had a problem with mine, had driven a few times in the winter,so crud and salt! and terminal was only a fraction loose, so undone cleaned and re-tightened and the car has been ok starting since!

Al Evs.

PurpleGtiEater....here