Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Coolant leak

Trevor Gilby

Was a happy bunny, had nice new carbon dash fitted and all was great, then a coolant leak that was evidenced on the passenger mat. Spotted a leaking hose/connection on the heater valve so replaced the two hoses between valve and heater - wow so expensive for about 300mm of hose. Still, new hoses, no leak there. Bleed the system (thanks to all people for help on that) and all seemed okay with clloant levels and temperature gauge. Blatted to work this morning and noticed more coolant appear on the mat. Can't really see it in the engine bay exept possibly under the heater matrix. Is that likely to be leaking therefore and is it expensive to replace/ repair, or should I just ditch it if it is leaking

Thanks Guys, I think it is fresh coolant, I did clean up around and under the hoses before driving to work and back on thursday 50 miles. Had car MOT today and guy noted the system was runnning hot, so maybe I need to do som more bleeding. As to cost of new heater I thought it was £200+ from Caterham, not £90 as suggested.

Trevor. I had to source one of these heater matrix's for my car about 12 months ago. When I took out the heater unit, there was a manufactures sticker on it. It was made by a company called KP Automative, and it said that they were based in Ripley. I went on the net to have a look for this company, and found out that they had been took over by a company in Tamworth where I live. I phoned them up and went to see them with my duff matrix. They tested it for me and confirmed that it was wasted and sold me a new one. At the time ,their minimum order amount was £100. The heater matrix was only about £60 + vat, so they through in various other bits like, clips and the cable, foam sheet, etc. The name of the company is Elite Automation Limited and their phone number is 01827 300100 .

Thanks Guys, I have removed the heater unit, extracted the matrix and then reconnected it to the system, and it seems to be fine. I have put a bleed tee into the top heater hose and now refilled the system and all the air I hope has come out. When I run the car a lot of fluid comes out of the expansion tank, so does that mean the stsyem is too full?