Click here if you are having website access problems ×

front brakepiston help!

dreamer_uk75

scuse poor typing sitting on the drive with mucky fingers!

changing front pads and discs -0 one disc done and one pad done, but piston wont retract far enough to get the other pad of nthe pair done.

tried levering it with a screwdriver but it just bends the screwdriver and is starting to mark the piuston surface.

i have a track session on thursday so need to get it done asap - any ideas as quite worried now!

Also try 2 screw drivers, one top and the other bottom and try and wiggle them so the piston is squared up to the bore and goes back in.

In other words it sounds to me that you have levered one side and "cockled" the piston.

(Damn! Said I wouldn't give this advise anymore)

ed to ad that if you don't remove the fluid cap you may have a jet of brake fluid spraying all over the shiny paintwork (which won't be that shiny after)

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Edited by - nverona on 22 Mar 2009 17:31:24

Is your wind back tool, just a brake piston spreader? If so that might be of use. Dreamer, well worth spending £20quid in halford on one, very uesfull. Also try checking the piston is stuck, so gently depress brake pedal to get pistons moving again. Becareful not to pop them out out though. Maybe have a block of wood in there. Then try to wind them back again. If the piston is sticky it may need some work anyway.

if you have spare caliper easy to try a swap, wont take long. I've done one at circuit before.

Hi Chris, we're fine, how are you?

I'll put a pound to a penny that the piston is cockled. I try not to "tell" people how to do things anymore as I feel it can be "dangerous" in the sense I can't pass 50 years experience on over a forum. This is a good example. He should be able to see it by looking at the piston from the side and judging the "squareness" in the housing. Wants to refit the callioper and use two bars (screwdrivers) to, firstly square it up then to push the piston back in.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Common mistake (until you meet me!)

Thanks for all the tips guys - I'm up against it with time (testing on Thursday) so I've decided to take it to Ben Rockey tomorrow for him to change the caliper (skills are beyond me on my own and at least he'll have a new one in stock if my old ones don't work). Pressing the brake pedal reasonably firmly didn't get the piston moving so I think it's "good 'n' stuck".

I don't have a clamp I could use, and I do have a windback tool for the rears but couldn't bastardise that to work on the fronts.

Norman - I think I understand what you mean, but in the interests of "not making it worse" I think the best way is to take it to ben tomorrow. He can also show me how it all works - like you say it's difficult to explain over a forum without pics!!

Thanks for everyones help though :) That windback tool looks pretty useful - perhaps another one to add to the list!

Ben got the caliper off and replaced it with one of mine which worked perfectly :)

In the end they had to split the caliper to get the piston out - looks like where the seal had split, water and crud had got in, and a load of rusty cr*p was all over the cylinder that the piston slides in/out of. Ben's going to clean it up and see if he can get replacement parts for it, so I still have a spare caliper :)