Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery codes

Setok

As a continuation to my battery story, how should the battery codes be interpreted? The word here is that I should use a Bannery 530-34 battery (and, if you zoom in on the picture in the Caterham parts store, that's what the figures say). Is this some kind of standard code?

I asked at the car parts store and they were willing to sell me a Varta 530-30-30 battery. Is this really compatible or was the guy clueless (he seemed a bit clueless)?

I was recommended Odyssey batteries, but they're a lot more expensive and with things being tight, if I need to replace the battery I'd prefer to just get something that "does the job".

---

Kristoffer Lawson

Edited by - setok on 14 Mar 2009 20:40:03

As Ian writes, the Banner technical details for the 530 34 can be found on this PDF.

I think the Varta battery is this one.

Physically they are near as dammit identical length and width, but the Varta is slightly taller 6mm. The capacity and the voltage are the same (and the Varta has a higher rated cold test current), so the key thing to check is that the terminals are comparable. The manufacturer's websites don't really help in this regard.

Thanks for the Varta link!

In the shop the terminals looked identical and, indeed, the Varta battery felt like it was a clone. Might it be a problem if the terminals are reversed, as I didnt actually check that? I can't imagine it being a problem unless the cables simply don't bend to the back position after rotating the battery.

---

Kristoffer Lawson

I also noticed Varta has a battery with code 530 034. The poles are reversed there (or at least the 'Pole Positions' number is different). So the plot thickens. The 530 030 is marked as MOTORCYCLE STANDARD while the other is FUNSTART...

---

Kristoffer Lawson

Kris, I take it from your comment about it's position that it's under the carbs. If so be careful about tilting it to get it out between the battery frame and footwell. (unless your lhd and short passenger footwell). If tilted the electrolyte will run from the highest to the lowest cell and you will get early failure on the dry sell.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

I've currently got the Varta battery installed. The poles are reversed (compared to the Banner) and I seem to remember having to buy a longer earth lead (K series (now Duratec!)). The extra couple of millimetres of width also meant that the clamp holding the battery in place had to be 'massaged' slightly. Apart from that, it fits and works splendidly.

I also seem to remember that when I ordered the Varta I was told it was listed as being the battery for a BMW K1000(?? something like that) motorcycle (which ties in with the MOTORCYCLE STANDARD bit).

Hope that helps,

Adam

AdamQ, thanks for that information. I'll ask about to see if I can find the Varta battery with the poles the same way round as on the Banner battery, as it is listed in their products. Good to know it's the right fit (almost)!

---

Kristoffer Lawson