Click here if you are having website access problems ×

60 or 70-profile tyres on Live Axle

Ralph Morgan

I need to replace the worn set of 185/70 x 13 Yoko A021s on my live axle car. I've been very pleased with them, but there's been a lot of commentary on here about how good Toyo 888s are. However, as far as I know they're only available in 185/60 size. I've always felt that 70 profile was more appropriate for live axle chassis, and they also give a touch more ground clearance. This was the recommendation from Polley's when I bought the Yokos a few years ago too. Has anyone got any positive experience one way of another in this area, especially with 60 profile 888s on a live axle car? Mostly road use, by the way, with perhaps once a year on track.

I'm running 185/60 on mine but not 888's. I was under the impression that 888's were too sticky for the ital axle to handle?

please ignore me if you're running a ford axle.

anyway the only major issue i have with the size is the speedo is about 10 mph over now?

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK

rFactor: caterham.miltec.biz

Ralph - I use both on my LA Xflow.

Personally I prefer the 70 profile AO21R's on the road - more ground clearance and a spot-on level of grip for the road.

I use the 60 profile R888's for sprints (and drive on the road to get there). Ground clearance is occasionally an issue (but I have a lowered d/s floor that drops below the chassis), the handling is tighter but less relaxed (relative, I know) on the road, but less playful at sensible speeds. Different matter on track where I can lean more heavily on the tyres and still find grip, and the car is less bouncy in extremis. Agan - we're talking relative here, and absolutely on the limit.

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

For 'mostly road use' I would stick with the A021s - my old crossflow had 70 profile to keep the speedo accurate and good ground clearance. Handling - very happy with the A021s in wet / greasy conditions - probably better in the wet than the R888's that I have on my current car.

Good luck

G

Thanks to all of you for the advice. As it's an Ital axle, and the engine is a 165bhp Zetec I'm already worried about the extra load on the axle so I'll stick with the A021's in 70 profile. I must admit I've been very happy with them, both on road and track, so there's no real incentive to change but it's always worth exploring these things!

Polley's have got them in stock so I now need to find somewhere local who will fit them at a fair price (they were delivered from Polley's last time already fitted to a set of new wheels so i didn't have that problem).

Cheers,

Ralph