Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slight Exhaust Blow

Dyrill

I have a 4-1 exhaust which was recenly polished before I took ownership. It has started to blow slighty from the first set of joints. I am hesitant to just tighten up the bolts in case I make it worse - What's the best way to approach this please? Thanks in advance

picture - here

They are crap. They all blow like that. 😔 ☹️

The only partial solution is to shim with something like a coke can and use high temp silicone sealant, but after a few 100 miles it always blows again.

Permanent solution is to get some new sleeves made with a double overlap and spring clips to allow expansion and flex

Taffia rear gunner

I had a similar problem with my old X Flow exhaust and partially solved by weaving a very large jubilee clip through the pipes at the join. Most is hidden but it would still be visible especially with your polished exhaust.

If you dont want to go back to the original manufacturers to get the join sleeved you could try Simpson race exhausts in langley. You will get mixed views on them but they have done two good exhausts for me, they are easy for me as they are only ten minutes away from my office.

Alan

I use the usual gun gum exhaust paste out of the tube which has always seemed to do the job, but it can be an a***e to get apart when dismantling the pipes/silencer can. last time I used a rubber faced hammer to get the primaries and silencer off the collector but it takes some doing.

My solution was the same as Peter's but some 8 years on it needs doing again but its not as bad

Once they start to rattle they are constantly hammered and they are hot so you start to get a flat side

I just heated it up and used the wrong end of a socket to swage it out and a hammer 😬 Make sure the socket does not get stuck, mine did just let it cool heat the tube again to expand it and the cooler socket comes out.... worked for me *smile*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Edited by - Bilbo on 23 Dec 2008 20:33:31

Dyrill, i found that all four pipes were a poor fit some worse than others and i got fed up using silicone and other gunk products, especially after i had the entire system polished !

After removing the pipes i expanded the primaries untill each one fitted the collector perfectly.

The tool sits in the pipe and you use a spanner to wind in a drum which expands thus exerting pressue in the pipe, simple as that really.

Once fitted it never leaked, also the idle improved due to the engine O2 sensor not drawing in the air which disrupted the gains being sent to the ECU. *thumbup*

An old sockets a lot cheaper

I would still warm it up a tad first if I was you *smile*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.