Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Battery for 1.8VHPD motor 7, Recomendations

Deano7

Hi,

My battery has just died on my 1.8VHPD engined seven, can anyone recommend a decent replacement, it is a wet type at the moment, or should I be going for a gel type. Car is used on roads and occasional track days.

Cheers

Dean *wink*

Unless you are fanatical about weight saving, the Banner OE battery is fine.

I used to use a battery conditioner, which I left connected whenever the car was in the garage, but this eventually killed the first battery (the cells boiled dry *eek*).

With the replacement battery (sourced by my local factors), I've never connected the conditioner, but always turn off the FIA switch when the car is in the garage (after setting the immobiliser). Always starts without any issues.

See some pictures of the build here. 15000 miles completed!

Thanks mate,

I wondered that myself, so if I set the immobilser and turn the isolation switch and probably take the key(as I keep the car in a garage down the road till I get my garage extended next year) there should be no problems when I re isolate and start her up again. Just wanted to check the battery thats fitted is a 12N24-4(Seems to be a lawn mower or motorcycle battery) is that the correct wet type battery?

ditch that useless banner battery and get a decient gel one, something like a Hawker 680 should do the trick they are about £70 and will save you 3 kg, you will have to change the connectors on the harness though and make up a slightly different tray

Simon

I found the gel one better for my VHPD they deliever power better than the banner and keep a high crank speed in the cold especially with the higher compression ratio of the engine. I went the powervamp route they used to offer discount I don't know if they still do.

Andy

so, for a small weight saving, and a battery that everyone says is *way* better, but can't substantiate why (but hey let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story), you need to hack your wiring and bodge the battery/tray installation to stop it going awol (I recomend toilet rolls).

Or just stick with a perfectly sensible banner that does the job.

Graham

oh and if you have an MBU ecu, it doesn't like the lower volts that gel batteries produce when cranking.

With a gel battery you will have more cranking amps than the banner battery, (fact) , mine has lasted 3 times a long as the banner ones (fact). if the banner battery has bolt on terminals then yo do not have to change the wiring, if you do have to change it it is only a question of replacing the lead to the starter (£5.00 form halfords). To fix it in place you can remove the tray (saves weight) and shorted the retaining strap and it saves more weight than replacing all you GRP with carbon fibre

I know some people do not like doing any mods which are not sanctioned by the gods (caterham) but they don't get it right all the time

only my opinion

You do have more cranking amps with a gel battery, but at the expense of volts. This can make starting hard with some ecus (like the MBE on my gen 1 R500). It's just not a given that the gel battery is better. I had a nice tray fabricated for my gel battery and after a few months awful starting, diagnosed the problem. I fitted the proper tray, a banner and it was fine from there on.

I had a banner in my most recent 7 that was dead when I bought it and I coaxed it back into life and it lasted a further 3 years. Excellent battery.

My point was really that it is not a given that a gel battery is better than a banner.

Graham