Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice on cheap & small engine crane

alextangent

Looking to buy an engine crane. Two requirements;

1. Cheap.

2. Small and light

The garage is tiny, and I want to be able to get the crane front wheels inder the car without jacking up the front. I'd also like to be able to get it in the boot of my car so I can loan it out. I looked at a Machine Mart one, but the only one they had in stock was far too big and expensive (>250 notes). As I'm taking out an xflow and gbox, I shouldn't need enything in excess of 500Kg I presume?

Any suggestions welcome.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

The smaller Machine Mart (Clark) ones are fine and good value for money. Be wary of the lifting capacity as this varies and may be less than the stated rated figure, depending on the boom extension. To lift my Vx engine out of the car I have to set the boom to maximum length which limits the lift to 500kg, even thought the 'rated' lift is a ton(ne). Even a 2 litre Vx + gearbox doesn't weigh that much *smile* but in case you want to use it for other jobs you need to be sure its big enough.

Get yourself a load spreader as well as this makes tilting the engine a lot easier, especially if you're working on your own.

If you're in Surrey you're very welcome to borrow mine.

Ebay's good for this sort of thing.1 ton

Looks like the one I have . .. great little crane *thumbup*.

When not it use it just folds up in the corner.

It will also go under the wishbones on most cars. On the few it won't, I just run the front wheels over a couple of bits of wood to give the extra clearance.

Another thumbs up *thumbup* for the Machine Mart Crane here. I'm sure you'll want one now but from time to time they have VAT free days. If your like me and are working in a shoe box size garage it folds away real small when you don't need it. Footprint about 600mm x 300mm. You will need about 150mm clearance under the car. In use here

Lardy Aztec Orange n Black

Edited by - adcatman on 9 Dec 2008 22:10:55