Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Powder coating firm in Kent

pburt

I'm looking to get an FIA bar re-powder coated, standard black.

Can anyone recommend a firm in Kent, or offer comment on any of the following 3 firms I found via Google:

1. Medway Galvanising - Sittingbourne

2. NSP Coatings - Longfield

3. Custom Wytelyne - Chatham

Medway Galvanising recommend galvanising prior to powder coating (maybe they would wouldn't they?)

Other threads have extolled the virtues of "nylon" powder coating, but are there any down-sides of using this material? What about "epoxy" coating?

Peter Burt

Noooooooooooooooooooo - you don't galvanise under powder coating Hot-dip galvanising is not a decorative finish - lumpy, spiky, etc. Needs sanding to clean it up, even then it isn't smooth, and you have sanded off a lot of the protection. Also not suitable for any structures that have sealed closed sections (will explode in hot bath !). Just a no-no ! Electro=plating maybe ..... that gives some protection if P/C gets damaged.

There is a new P/C near us ..... someone that left Cray Metal Finishers in Dartford. See if I can find his details.

I use powder coating a lot in my business and the company I use will prime mild steel with a zinc rich primer before finishing with the powder coated colour of your choice. I have always found this to be a very durable finish with very good corrosion resistance should the surface become chipped or scratched.

As SM25 says, avoid hot dip galvanising like the plague. It will be a terrible finish and is highly likely to distort the roll bar with the heat applied in the dip bath. We used to use this process for galvanising various fabrications and structures and whilst it certainly had a place in bygone days, there are much better ways to protect mild steel these days.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

Toyota power It's the future!

Thanks guys for your feedback and advice. I think I will do some phoning around and have a chat with a few of these people.

As it happens, I had a meeting in Sittingbourne this morning, so took the opportunity to go and see Medway Galvanising. They said they would have to drill holes in the main tube (to let the liquid dip out) 😔. They also showed me an example of their work - piece of ornamental iron-work) and all I can say is the finish was very poor - lots of 'pinholes' *nono*

SM25T: thanks for the offer re NSP at Longfield, much appreciated. As you say, they do look professional from the website (but then so did Medway Galv.!) They're almost on my way in to/home from the office so will probably be able to get there okay if I choose to go with them, but cheers anyway.

Watch this space!

Peter Burt