Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6 Sigma 150 Quirk ??? - Final Update 23.06.09

Windy Corner

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha!! 😬

I've picked it up *thumbup* and well to be honest.........

....... It's bl00dy brilliant!! *thumbup* *thumbup*

Right from first touch of the throttle you could tell there was something different, it was an instant response. There were no coughs, splutters, or fuggieness, just smooth power delivery (and plenty of it!).

I opened it up a few times (but not fully yet) and I was very impressed, and on the 90 mile journey home it didn't miss a beat and I averaged 42mpg *eek* (ok, ok, I know I need to learn to drive it properly to get it to a much more acceptable 30mpg 😬)

I only had a quick look under the bonnet and yes the MAP sensor is now looking at fresh air, I will have to do some more testing over the weekend *tongue*

From my experience the only thing I can say is "What are you waiting for, get it done!!"

Cheers

Ivan

No but I will be. I wonder how long it takes to get it done as I'm some way from Dartford and getting to and from by train is a nightmare so would rather sit around and wait if its only a couple of hours to upgrade

Edited by - TobyCoulson on 13 Jun 2009 13:19:48

Hi Martyn

I would take some pics but there is nothing new to see really. The only thing is that the MAP sensor is now disconnected and the pipe that was on it has got a screw put in the end of it. The rest of it must be in the black box.

Cheers

Ivan

Hi Rik

Not sure really I didn't get to speak with anyone technical, they still look the same but the throttle feels lighter so they have done something to them. James Gibson said something about the problem being with the spindles, so what I'm guessing is that the spindles wore away at the holes, the holes then started leaking air which then messed up the settings for me.

As this new map doesn't monitor airflow it isn't affected by this or any differences in air flow between the cylinders, although I'm sure that any significant leaks around the spindles would still cause mapping problems.

Ivan

Mine has always been a little lumpy when cold but quickly improves as the engine warms. It's not perhaps as smooth as I thought it might be and seems to run out of puff at about 105mph.

I've done over 8000 miles so can't be too unhappy!

I know two people in Sussex - one whose Sigma 150 has been on the road for some time after mine and another whose is giving him awful running problems but is going to CC for supposed fixing. I should be meeting them soon and we might drive each others' cars to compare. I might be pleasantly surprised or not...

Ivan, What's the basis for CC doing the latest fixes you describe? Only if a customer complains? They agree a car is running unsatisfactorily? They charge if the car is more than a year old?

Brian

Viper Blue Sigma 150 Roadsport SV

Glad its all sorted now Ivan.

Regarding the refurbishment of the throttle bodies, how many miles has your car done ? Would have thought that wear in the throttle spindles would not have become significant until relatively high milages were reached - 30,000 plus. Or maybe an alignment problem creating sideloads - just guessing.

Looking forward to getting mine done, going to try to persuade Caterham to send me an exchange ECU together with the appropriate "idiots guide" and I'll do it myself here

Malcolm

Hi Guys,

Certainly I think it will only be if you complain or request it rather than a recall, not sure though if they will want to agree it's a problem before they will do it for free.

With regards to the TB mods, I don't think that this is part of the upgrade but more to do with mine being duff.

With regards to cost, when they found the problem CC wanted to charge me £600 for new TBs, I obviously winced at this and they said they would ask if they could get them repaired for less. I then pointed out to them that, at only 2000 miles, the TB company should be doing the work/replacing for free as they are clearly not fit for purpose. The company agreed (don't know who they are) and six weeks later did the job and returned them!

Regards

Ivan

Spoke to James at Dartford (as Brett wasn't in)

The upgrade should be free, takes about a half hour to reflash the ecu and recalibrate the Throttle Position Sensor.

It apparently hasn't been rolled out yet, but they have started doing some, he mentioned that he had already recived an ECU via the post........

I think, unless you ask for it, it will get done at the next service.

Mine should be in on Wednesday, will report back then

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

Just got back from CCM (no, it didn't take that long, but I had to go the long way to work, just to test it out of course 😬)

Well, I though after the last round of mods, it was as good as it got............

It just got a whole load better 😬 😬

Better idle, smoother 900 rpm instead of 1000rpm

No flatspots

Instant response (no delay or chug)

Much smoother power delivery, plant your foot, and it just keeps on going !!!

I can actually believe now that it may be a 150 bhp model, as before I had my doubts !! The permagrin is back again 😬

Thanks to all at CCM, and Ivan for being the Guinea pig (BTW mines at Revision H, CCM never got Rev G ?)

Rik

in Viper Blue here

Final Update

Th car was at Northampton Motorsport this morning, for a rolling road run. This was to have been a mapping session with reflashed ecu's etc etc. In the end, and on discussion with Troy, we decided to benchmark it only, as the latest (Rev H) Caterham map seems to have done the trick.

The car is now as good as I need it, and with the updated map, is the car it should have been all along.

For those interested in numbers these are below, the plot can be seen at here

Theoretical - 150 bhp @ 6900 rpm, 120 lbft @ 5600 rpm (Flywheel)

Actual

142.4 bhp @ 7396 rpm (corrected to flywheel)

109.7 lbft @ 5468 rpm (corrected to flywheel)

which when measured at the wheels - 120.1 bhp @ 7040 rpm

I won't lock this thread as others may still be able to usefully contribute to it and help out each other. I would be interested to hear how others have got on with the latest map, as far as I know Eccles and I seem to be the only ones to admit to it (perhaps everyone else is still grinning too much)

Rik

in Viper Blue here

Took mine into Midlands CC yesterday morning, picked it up in the afternoon and all I can say is "Spendido, Bellissimo ". It didn't miss a beat all the way home, I waited till this morning to see what it was like from cold. I can state it's the first time that I was able to rev this engine without it cutting out. Hats off to CC for persevering and eventually sorting this problem out. *thumbup*

Peter

I called in to CC Dartford this morning and had the new mapping. I did ask James what else would be done and, if I remember correctly, he said that the map sensor would be disconnected and blanked off. (Must take a look at that)

So - it is better but I wouldn't say it was a transformation. My last map was May 2008 so I don't know how good an iteration that was compared with today's.

Now it doesn't pop and bang at all on overrun like it used to (makes Dartford Tunnel blats less amusing...) but it does pop and bang on low speed down change blips which I don't remember it doing before. Weird.

More weird is I am convinced that it gives similar performance to before on less throttle.

I'll be interested to see what cold running hesitation is gone. It wasn't much of an issue but it would falter if you were a little exuberant.

James Gibson said the work would take half an hour but I waited almost an hour and a half. But they did give me two coffees, replace the missing 'CATERHAM' sticker on the cam cover and the missing strap on my side screen foc so all in I am pleased.

Brian

Viper Blue Sigma 150 Roadsport SV

Edited by - exfordy on 26 Jun 2009 00:12:05