Click here if you are having website access problems ×

brake lights fuse problem , crossflow

Barry Thompson

I hate electrical problems!

Firstly, I would take off the aluminium cover over the pedals, and have a look at the brake light actuator. You will see this attached to the brake pedal, and if you get someone to push the pedal while looking down at it, it will be clear how it works. It is possible that it or the wires to it have become dislodged, or there is a short in the wiring attachment. It is also possible the unit has failed, although they are cheap.

(This is the system on my 1995 Crossflow, although I have heard of some cars with a different system)

Hope this helps.

*arrowup*I had the same problem as Mark wth my 2001 5 speed car where the gearbox tunnel was contacting the reverse switch (brakes and reversing lamp use same fuse).In my case I could replace the fuse and it would be OK for some time until the switch was fused. Solution was to remake the connection and insulate.

Edited by - brunel on 9 Sep 2008 10:59:52

Barry, my 1990 De-dion chassied car was originally fitted with a pressure switch in the brake lines,the mechanically operated switch came later. You can still check the wiring by connecting the two spades together though!The switch can be found screwed into a multi-way union attached to the upper engine bay diagonal member at the side of the pedal box.

Brian.