Click here if you are having website access problems ×

sponge pad in sump

stuart147

When removing the sump to change the foam pad on the K Series engine, is it possible to carry this out with the car on axle stands? Is there a gasket or seal that needs replacing or renewing when doing this job? My car has done 11000 miles now and I have no confirmation that this procedure has been carried out. Should it be done yet?

• Area Representative

Stuart,

This job can be carried out on axle stands. The sump gasket is metal and reusable. Simply wipe it clean and re-use it.

I see you are in Staffs, whereabouts are you as there is healthy contingent around this area *thumbup*

Cheers

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

*wavey*

As a starter, these are the torque settings that I received from Caterham when I removed my K sump.

Sump to crankcase bolts = 15lbf

Bell housing into sump bolts = 30lbf ( horizontal at rear )

Oil pick up bolt = 7lbf

Baffle plate bolts = 7lbf

Sump drain plug = 25lbf

You should be able to use the existing gasket again

Stuart - just done this job myself with LE0 on axle stands at the front and ramps at the rear. My second bit pf spannering after replacing a bottom front suspension arm.

Not difficult, just a bit awkward. You'll need a big sheet of plastic under the car to catch any spillage out of the sump when you take it off - I found it helpful to have another pair of hands to lower it out level (eldest son worked on it with me - he's more mechanically minded than I am). We followed the Alcester Racing instructions - worked perfectly.

LEO 3eggs

Another Slightly Vider SeVen