Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Disc Corrosion

seventh-heaven

I'm sure that MOT's come round quicker every year! Or maybe I'm just getting old!?

Anyway for the last couple of years the MOT station have commented on corrosion on the rear discs - so this year I actually remembered to have a look before the test. Sure enough the inner face has evidence of some corrosion and is definitely not as smooth and shiny as the outer face. Now the inner pad is clearly still doing some work but not as effective a job as the outer pad - but the size is similar so not massively different wear rates.

Is this a common feature that others see?

Andyh

Yes, TADTS. Unless you have flexible brake pipes on the rear. If you look at the brake setup there are fixed copper brake pipes along the de dion tube connected to the calipers. This prevents the inner caliper from sliding onto the disk as freely resulting in greater wear on the outer brake and the inner disk being more prone to corrosion.

Steve

I doubt that has anything to do with it The force of the piston excerts the same amount on each pad as long as the sliding mechanism is well coppaslipped and the whole assembly slides back and fwd The forces employed will have little effect on a simple bend in a brake pipe Note how easily you can swing the caliper away when you overhaul it. in any case the calpier has to move to bring the outer pad into contact with the disc. I suggest unbolting the caliper stripping it and freeing everything up make sure pads are loose in each side and be liberal with coppaslip., Also remove the ridge at the edge of the disc both sides.

Works for me *wavey*

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary