Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MInimum operating oil temperature

Tin Man

• Area Representative

I have a 1.8 k series with the DVA K05 kit fitted *thumbup* Pace dry sump, with oil tank mouted at the front of the engine. The thermostat is a 74 deg c, as fitted to the R500. The fan kicks in at an indicated 85deg C, so I asume the gauge is reading a bit low. The car runs between 60 to 70deg c on the gauge & the oil between 40 to 60 deg c. Is this running too cool 🤔 If so I assume changing the stat or laging the oil tank will help. will running too cool damage the engine?

Thank you

I run a 1900DVA K {240BHP] with pace dry sump You Need to fit a laminova to get heat into the oil and double lag the tank I run an 82 Deg Stat dont take it above 4000RPM untill your oil [Full Synth] is at least over 60

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

• Area Representative

Hi Jonnty

Thanks for the info.

Checked the temp with the laptop today fan kicks in at 95 deg c, gauge shows 85 deg c. is the 82 deg stat available from Caterham? What material do you use to lag the tank? I will need to buy a thermometer to check the oil temperature.

Regards

John

John if your using the kidney shaped tank in front of the engine there is a boss fitted low down Off side where you can insert a temp sender Just use the same one you have in the head for the water and sw between the two I used a self adhesive foil backed lagging from Demon Thieves

I can thoroughly recommend the Dual digital gauges from SPA to monitor your temps and pressures [They have changed their Illumination supplier and the new gauges are first class] I have oil press/oil temp together and water temp/ Volts on the other one I kept the Caterham Fuel gauge 😬 The stat is available from Halfords MGF I think but check the archive its listed on Forum somewhere. *wink*

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

Edited by - Johnty Lyons on 13 Jul 2008 18:46:22

• Area Representative

Hi Johnty

Thank you for the reply.

I am using the kidney shaped tank in the front of the engine & switch beteen the two for the temperature readings . The gauge is inacurate as the water temperature is 10 deg c out according the Emerald. The Emerald does not measure the oil temperature, so I assume it is also 10 deg c out. I will change the stat and lag the tank to see if this helps.

Thanks again

John

How do you know the Emerald is reading the correct temperature? Just because it's digital & connected to your laptop doesn't mean it's correct.

My ECU temperature & SPA gauge temperature are 5 degrees apart. Which one is correct? Probably neither.