Click here if you are having website access problems ×

propshaft knocking

RiF

Is this OK????

When sitting at rest with engine on tick over and clutch up there is a lot of noise from the prop area, like a knocking/noisy clonking. This never use to happen. Prop is dead square, well greased, nipples OK, and no problem otherwise. Goes once clutch is depressed. Do I just live with it? Got a few long trips so thought I should ask *thumbup*

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

• Area Representative

This sounds normal to me. I understand it's the layshaft in the gearbox and my car has always done it. It's worse if you have a light flywheel and also if you are on a hill - can't remember whether it's worse facing uphill or downhill, but one is worse than the other.

I don't think I'd be worried. CRB is normally a screeching sound when clutch is activated.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

I have had the same mystical clonking problem recently and now my question is answered as i had a gearbox rebuild and fitted a lightweight flywheel and wondered why car had a new clonking sound. I thought it was the P/S too but layshaft makes complete sense to me, now much happier