Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Sigma build - help required!!

h_____

Folks, can anyone assist with issues as below please? (posted on behalf of a friend L7C membership coming....)

Car 2008 Roadsport 150bhp (sigma) – Standard car (not an SV)

1/ Throttle cable – The throttle cable seems too long. When connected to the throttle butterfly, fully adjusted and connected to the pedal box, the nipple of the cable in the pedal box is past (closer to the driver) the bolt head holding the brake pedal. This would mean that the pipe at the top of the throttle pedal would need to be bent by at least 5cm. Additionally, when pulled to full throttle, the nipple nearly touches the back of the pedal box. Is this right?

2/ The immobiliser (a Sterling make) flashes rapidly when the ignition is turned. When the fob is placed near the steering column there is a click and the light goes out. The manual states that the LED should be solid red when the immobiliser is dis-armed. Is that a typo or is the immobiliser still active if the LED goes out?

Help much appreciated!!! Caterham havent been forthcoming with answers yet.

regards

Hugh

Re. 1: I certainly had to bend my accelerator stem quite a long way when I installed mine. It might be worth sitting in the car and getting the position right because I need to make a further adjustment some time to make heel-and-toe easier which will involve moving the pedal or bending the other end.

and 2: IIRC it is slow flashing = armed, rapid flashing = ignition on, waiting to recognise fob, off = disarmed, ready to start engine. I think that's right.

See my Build Cam to check on my Roadsport Sigma. Updated photos!

Edited by - BadBob on 7 Jul 2008 13:37:17

Correct on the above.

1. Bend the pedal as much as you need. And (if you have the pedal stop), wind it down to the min. Then, also make sure you left a bit of slack at the throttle side of things, so that you can adjust later with the adjuster screw.

2. Light off completely when disarmed.

Re 1 - my pedal was not installed in my chassis when I got it so I installed the pedal and postioned it nearer me (there are a couple of positions for the pedal) and as a result only bent the arm a very little bit - certainly nothing like 5cm.

re 2 - waggle the fob - hear a click - the light definitely goes OUT and you can start the engine. So not sure what it was meant to do originally, but that is how it works.

HTH

Martin

Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy....C Chapman

re bending throttle pedal arm. By far the easiest way I found was to insert a long bladed pozi screwdriver into the top of the tube(make sure it's a snug fit) place a block of wood under the pedal & apply some pressure, easy!

Don't forget to fit the throttle & clutch pedal stops. They were not included in my kit of parts, but came as an extra. Saves straining the throttle body (125) or throttle bodies (150) when your putting the pedal to the metal!! 😬

I build my academy car at Xmas, had the same problem with the throttle.

Impossible to bend that far, so moved pivot to the next position back. was fine for me. You may need to bend to adjust when you set up the pedal box to drive when you have finished the build

Folks, thanks for the good suggestions. I think the story on the throttle pedal is pretty straight forward, moving pivot positions is a good idea too. And it sounds like we just need to work out how to use the immobiliser.

Update to follow soon.....

Quick update

throttle pedal - going to bent, happy thats the right solution.

starting issue, turns out an earth was properly attached on the ignition switch, once sorted, car would turn over. Unfortunately now that has been done, a short on the wiring loom has caused a fire, which burnt off the foam filter and some other stuff. More work requried before a full fire up!

thanks for help - at least we then knew it wasnt the alarm system.

My God! *eek*I'm glad petrol or petrol vapour wasn't involved! Be careful & have a fire extinguisher standing by.

I overfilled the car from a jerry can when getting ready for the SVA (they like the car to have a full tank) & our garage leads onto the house, not funny, petrol vapour through the house. I ventilated pretty damn quickly. the boiler in the garage is up on the wall & room sealed, just as well!!