Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tonneau fasteners on body - into *or* avoid chassis tubes

jason liddell

Just got myself a Tillet-pocketed tonneau and fasteners etc from Caterham for fitting to my Superlight *smile* I now have a question that I can't find answer to in the archives...

I need to fit 3 new fasteners to the body (car having never had a tonneau before) - these being one on the scuttle, one on the sideskin just below the scuttle, and one on the sideskin just below the top-rear of the sill. The build manaul PDF I have gives precise dimensions for where to drill/fit these (Sect 14, Pg 5).

So my question: are these given dims/locations intended to ensure the rivets go into chassis tubes (for increased strength), or to avoid chassis tubes? *confused*

(Mainly *tongue*) Scottish Motorsport/Trackday Pics Here.

Edited by - jason liddell on 30 Jun 2008 23:42:06

I suspect you really want to avoid hitting the edge of a chassis tube. The tubes are round you know!

The poppers are strongest if you get them drilled into a chassis tube (like the ones around the boot). However, I suspect that most of the ones for the tonneau are just into plain ali.

ELV15 - Tom in California -

200hp duratec powered 2003 Clubsport Build pics here: here

The existing poppers in the centre of the scuttle (the ones the aero pops onto) appear to be through the tube... The scuttle hoop tube is round section? And the side tubes (that the 2 sideskin ones potentially go into) are square section, yes?

Hmmm. I'm a bit unsure of wielding the drill just yet *confused*

When I marked the holes for the poppers just in front of the rear wing, I was very careful to make sure that I measured a number of times and drilled once,,,,and made a lovely elongated hole as the bit slid round the chassis tube. *mad*

The hole is supposed to be clear of the tube, but the dimensions that I used didn't achieve it. *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad*

If you added a mm or two to make the hole lower and further from the wing, but still within the tonneou fabric, you may benefit.

Or you may not. I'm not responsible.

Re-reading the build manual and studying pics of an un-skinned chassis, it would appear the given dims are intended to centre on chassis tubes... Studying pics of other (factory built - hence poppers in same place in theory) cars suggests this to be the case.

Has nobody else fitted these tonneau poppers to body themselves?

Sure. Blatmail me your email addy. Thought the dims proved not too helpful TBH - they seemed to contradict wheat Caterham dartford told me on the phone. Just for yourself when you have a look at the instructions. It'll be next week now... off for a long weekend blat tomorrow *cool*

Alternatively, I'm sure you can find the Build Manual PDF online still somewhere...