Click here if you are having website access problems ×

exhaust mount hole on chassis

John Gaines

I have a live axle chassis.I need to support the silencer at the front as well as the back, can anyone give the position on the extra exhaust mount hole that is under the skin at the front of the silencer? I am assuming that there is one there *confused* Dimensions from the front or the rear mudguard would be fine.

Regards, John.

I stripped the interior of mine back this winter, and I didn't see any chassis mounting points at the front in the cockpit *confused*. The engine bay has rounded edges that stand proud of the chassis members at the lower sides, so there won't be any there either.

Is it an xflow? It should be fine hanging off the engine with the standard mount point at the front of the rear arch. In fact, if it's too stiff, and a front mounting point may make it so, then I suspect you'd have problems getting the exhaust manifold to seal properly as the engine rocks. If it's interfering with the skin at the front, then either make the 'ole bigger or replace the engine mount rubbers. They tend to compress with age and the exhaust drops as a result.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

Thanks for the reply Alex. I have a Zetec fitted with a 7 inch silencer which is bigger than the one that was with the crossflow setup. This seems a lot of weight betwen the headers and the rear mount. I have seen cars with a front bracket and wondered if it was standard.

John.

John,

I had this problem x 2 when I went from a fully internal K exhaust to a side exit exhaust.

I phoned Bruce at Arch who said all 7's had the rear exhaust mount fitted (which I found with his help), but few had the front mount fitted as standard.

In the end, I used the exhaust as a template and drilled and fitted an M8 rivnut in the middle of the lowerchassis rail for the front mount.

Hope this helps,

Bruce. (not from Arch!).

John,

I've got a live axle chassis all wrapped up in the shed (don't ask).

If you think it worthwhile I can unwrap part of it (it's the right way up) and check for you. ISTR that mine DOES have the front mount point - though can't be certain.

It's a '97 ex Academy car if that helps.

Blatmail me if you want me to check.

Dave.

Mine's got the front mount but I don't use it (2004 K-series) - the catalyst zaust will expand significantly in use and having a mount both ends doesn't seem a smart idea to me, putting unnecessary load into the chassis/ zaust/ mountings.

I've never used the front mount and don't see any need to. The rear one is pretty hefty and the primaries support the front. Any expansion is then across the whole length of the zaust inc manifold, and the engine mounts will give a degree of flex.

Martin

supersported ex-Roadsports B

"the engine mounts will give a degree of flex" but the exhaust bobbins won't *confused* I've seen several silencers broken where the front pipe goes in and I think that a front mount should take some strain off the silencer. Dick Whittington had a new exhaust fitted recently and the company (Powerspeed I think) insisted on a front mount.

• 7 months later...

On my K-series S3 dedion the front mount is located 805mm c-to-c from the rear mount (Arch suggested it would be 800mm but Powerspeed confirmed that it varies a little between 800 and 805). I believe most chassis have the front mount in place (it seems sensible to produce them all that way rather than a whole range of different exhaust mount fittings). I drilled a small pilot hole then found the mount point and adjusted the side skin drill point to centre it. Now waiting for imminent arrival of 10.9 grade 5/16" UNF setscrew to fit it as they seem pretty difficult to find locally in that grade - ended up ordering some from CC

Hope this helps

Jamie *cool*