Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seat is a pain in the ... back

Gavel

• Area Representative

The previous owner of my 97 Roadsport was into touring. Like me he was, shall we say, broad in the beam. As a result, the padding on the seat back seems to have shifted, leaving the tubular frame covered only by leather. It is extremely uncomfortable after a long run.

Has anyone else found this and is there anything that can be done about it - reupholstering, perhaps?

Or does anyone have a spare that would make an inexpensive replacement?

Chris

Reckless with caution.

• Area Representative

Hi Chris,

How about sticking some bits of foam in there to see if that alleviates the problem. Failing that you can send it back to Oxted trimming who manufactured the seat and they do re-furb services. See here

Or you could always try tillets *biggrin*

Cheers

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

I had this happen on my previous 7 so I took the seat out and dismantled the backrest myself. There are (or should be) foam tubes rather like small roll bar padding stuck around the metal tubes and these move or get dislodged over time. I obtained some new closed cell 15mm i/d pipe insulation from B & Q and glued this in position over the offending tubes then reassembled the backrest.

Worked a treat. *thumbup*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬

• Area Representative

Thanks lads - knew I could count on you. Nick, I had hoped you might have had a spare seat tucked away somewhere! As for tillets, do they come in XXXL?!

Brent, thanks for the solution. Question is, do I have the competence to reassemble said seat back? But I'll certainly give it a try.

Cheers

Chris

Reckless with caution.

Just one point, make certain you get the more dense foam insulation tubing which is quite easy to distinguish by simply squeezing it and is usually black in colour. The lighter, less dense, foam will compress too easily and provide insufficient padding.

If B & Q don't have the dense stuff (Armourflex) it should be available from all good plumbers merchants. *thumbup*

It is all quite logical how it comes apart when you start to look at it so don't be put off.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬

• Area Representative

Cheers Brent - taken on board.

Paul: Yeah, I'd thought of that but I don't want to give mine a [nother] reason not to come out with me.

Chris

Reckless with caution.

I have found the leather seats to be of little long term use, i.e. if you tour then they are a bit to soft for long distances and don't support your lower back, if you do a few trackdays and the cornering forces soon put paid to the inch or so of foam between your ribs and the metal tubular frame of the seat. You can whip the seats out and have a go at stuffing more foam into the seat but the problem will return.

If you can fit in a leather seat, then you should be able to fit in a tillet type seat, after all the seat runner is the same width.... plus as you say you are "broad in the beam" then you already have some padding 😳 Sorry .. couldn't resist.

I fitted a fibreglass tillet copy (from playskool motorsport) for about £120, just to test out the rigid seats. I find them much more comfortable than the leather seats, especially when touring as they really support your back. Why not try someone elses for size?

• Area Representative

If you're like me 6ft tall and 16 stone, then you may not fit in a tillet. I don't!!!

My leather seats had had some hard use and in addition to losing the padding around the metal tubes, the plastic backs were also breaking. I packed them up and sent them off to Oxted, who refurbished them in double quick time. left me on Monday and back completed on Friday - Excellent service. Just completed a 2,700 mile trip round Pyrenees and across France and no back problems. My wife does however find benefit from a small (inch thick) foam cushion in the small of her back.

Stick with leather and get them refurbished.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

• Area Representative

Cheers Paul (and Wavydavy). Unlike you, I am not prepared to make my vital statistics public - but I am on a diet! I think I will stick to leather, My plan is to swap the seats over, take a look to see whether or not I'm comfortable with the idea of taking the faulty one apart and either have a go or get it done professionally. I continue to hear great things about Oxted, so will ask them for a quote.

Cheers

Chris

Reckless with caution.