Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CF vs Ali rear end re-skin costs.......Roland

Martin S.

I'm weighing up between getting Arch to re-skin my damaged rear panel or fit a carbon-bits one myself for £400ish + paint. Arch are now closed for the week so does anyone have a rough idea how much Arch would charge?

Class 4 Zetec *cool*.....back on the right side

Edited by - martin s. on 23 May 2008 13:27:32

Arch are c.£300 IIRC for a rear skin. . . . that was several years ago mind.

FWIW . . . carbon is quite good for a rear skin. No risk of splinters if you shunt and pretty impact resistant (to a degree) - well, at least they won't dent.

Martin

I have been thinking about this. The carbon rear can be done at home so less time involved overall. I thought it was more like £800 for the rear but would like to know. If you do find out the cost from arch please post.

I think i am going to leave mine with a dent.

David

Wishful thinking on my part, but if I had another 7 I would not hesitate to have a carbon rear panel.

Having spent a fortune keeping rear panel clear of any fittings it is astonishingly easy to sustain accidental damage and I ended up having mine re-painted by TSK before I even had it on the road.

CF would avoid these minor problems, and could be fitted with a bit of time and a rivit gun at home.

MOG have these on their website from recollection

My rear panel has a belly dent it it where I was carrying the chassis about before it was finished 😳 That wouldn't have happened with carbon.

Is the Carbon-Bits carbon rear panel cheaper than Mog's one? Without wishing to start another carbon bun-fight, I guess they're similar . . . and as I've seen Joachim give one of his rear panels a proper big boot (a really hard kick), only for it to sustain no damage, I was impressed *thumbup*

• Area Representative

Martin,

A very, very recent price was £320 plus VAT for an Arch boot panel reskin and then you will have the paint on top at around £150-200.

Cheers

Nick

I'm leaving mine till the end of the season (otherwise am bound to bump it again!) and will sort it over winter. The Carbon-Bits rear panel is listed at £400 + £29 for a fitting kit here. Looks like the cost overal will be similar so think I'll go for the carbon and get it sprayed by a local body shop, mite have to get one or two other carbon bits to go with it though 😬

Edited by - Martin S. on 23 May 2008 22:16:31

Carbon bits rear panel is dead easy to fit, though of course if you're mixing ali sides and carbon rear you'll need to deal with the joint between the two pieces.

Obviously it's nicer to have panels that don't dent so easily but I challenge you to fit a rear RiF panel and then not buy the sides to go with it....even more it would be sacriledge to paint it - the finish is simply superb!

*thumbup*

• Leadership Team

IIRC isn't the MOG carbon rear panel designed exactly for this purpose? They were frustrated with transporting the race cars repeatedly from Germany to Arch everytime they stuffed a rear panel so they developed a CF replacement. Painting it though would seem to miss the point! The idea of the panel is that it becomes a disposable item, why therefore paint it *confused*

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

not wishing to start a war either *wink* but this is what I understand is the difference between Carbon-bits and Mog back panel:

Carbon-bits panel is an all carbon laminate and from what I understand mog is using one layer of carbon and backing the rest up with glassfibre.

The C-B version is smooth on both sides.

The Mog one has all the return edges already moulded on. C-B version only has certain edges and the rest comes with the kit. These are U sections that the panel bonds onto.

Both will be a lot better at resisting those annoying dents one gets 😬

Weight of the C-B one is not a lot less than the ally once fitted. No idea on the Mog one but I expect is very slightly heavier.

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON