Click here if you are having website access problems ×

weber return springs

magister

To prepare the car for sprinting, I need to add a second throttle spring to close my 40DCOE carbs (vx 8v engine) as a safety device.

There is currently one spring which pushes the throttle shut from underneath.

There is no obvious attachment for a conventional pull spring on the carbs.

Any ideas?

How is it done on the racers?

Do I need a separate spring for each carb. or will one do for both?

Any one got a piccy?

Thanks chaps! (and chapeses)

PaulB

Edited by - magister on 19 Apr 2008 22:00:18

I called in on Caterham Midlands and they didn't seem to think they could help *confused*

.... bit surprised as all the racers must have something fitted.

Have got a couple of 'pull' springs from DemonTweeks which I can make a bracket to mount off the head, but I'm not quite sure how/where to attach them to the carbs

PaulB

Very surprised !

They certainly used to do a kit cause' I had one.

You need a spring attached to each of the throttle spindles. You can probably attatch one in the centre (make sure it operates over the full throttle range without binding !) and then you may need to attatch another arm to the end of the second spindle (purchase from Webber and adapt). Alternatively Webber do a throttle linkage with twin springs but it is a little pricey

From what I remember Roger King posting once, its best not to use a spring at the outer of the spindles as this leads to slight misalignment of the butterflies due to twisting. This causes poor idling.

I have used various set ups over the years, see the links below.

One of the problems with the Weber carbs is that the internal springs break. (Dellorto have external springs) If you are luck it breaks at the bottom and just dangles there. If you are not, it breaks at the top and drops down and jams the throttle open! Not good news for sprinting. I have ALWAYS removed the internal springs because of this and I believe most racers do the same. I then rely on 2 external springs.

I like the Weber linkage. It comes with 2 external springs and gives a good throttle action which makes a lot of difference to drivability. Over the years I have fitted many different sorts of the cheaper variety… never been very good and I always went back to the genuine article. Expect to pay around £80 though…

Westfield linkage

caterham linkage

1997 HPC

Edited by - Tony L on 20 Apr 2008 16:55:05

Nice coincidence as I just attached a new second spring, as the previous one broke. I have a rod going between the carbs and the spring is attached to that. However, I'm not quite sure where to attach the other end. I can't remember where the previous one was. With the new spring I am having idling a bit 'off'. Sometimes it's great, sometimes too high, so maybe I have it attached wrong. I connected it to the bit where the normal V-shaped spring is attached to. Is this wrong? Where should I connect it to? I can't quite make it out from the pic and the whole setup looks just a bit different.

---

Kristoffer Lawson

OK, this is totally different from what I have. On my car there's a rod going between the carbs with a hole in it. A normal tubular spring has one end there, and the other end should be pulling the throttle. I've attached it to the same bit as the lower V-shaped spring (one of those two you apparently have).

---

Kristoffer Lawson

Mine are central from below on the Y bracket

Check the springs do not hit each other as you fully open the throttle or it changes the carb balance been there done that ☹️

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

I have one, which is like the two in the pictures, which goes down in the middle two somewhere near the y bracket, perhaps on it. The other spring comes from the top and pulls up. The resistance or pull might not be correct, but I don't see how it could affect the carb balance, as it's only pulling at the same bit that the throttle adjusts. Surely it's completely 1-dimensional?

---

Kristoffer Lawson