Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch cable broken again !!!

Chris B.

Dear All,

The car was bought with a cable of about 4 mm this lasted about 2 years, i replaced it with a new one from Caterham it snapped after about 500 miles at pedal end this cable was about .50 mm smaller in dia.This process has been repeated 4 times now, i have checked for free movement at pedal end this seems ok, I have run oil down new cable this made clutch nice and light but it broke again this morning.

Car is a B.D.R. same as crossflow i think. Third cable came from Redline and is the same as Caterhm one. Does any one have any advice?

Thanks Chris.

Fit a pedal stop. I suspect you are putting too much pressure on it when you depress the pedal. Either that or do you have a rough edge where it exits the pedal box if this is where it's breaking.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

It always breaks right at the point where the bowden cable goes into the steel fixing at the pedal end suggesting the cable is being bent by going to far in its arc of movement. i thought it would be a bit better engineered than this.

Regards Chris.

Have you got the cable with the adjustable collar at both ends? If so and you have the adjustment wound too far into the pedal box, when you depress the clutch the cable end assumes a very awkward angle which will break it prematurely. You need to keep the adjustment wound out of the pedal box as far as is practicable.

When you replace the cable, get someone else to depress the clutch while you watch what happens and I think you will see what I mean.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV You know when you've been AMMO'd *eek* 😬

R470.69 😬

Yes the cable is adjustable at both ends,i just fitted cable as it was fitted in first instance, i have never had any one operate it with me watching, i think i will buy cable No 5 and look very carefully at the operation of it,it cant be faulty cables if some are lasting 9 years.

i seem to be doing my own bulk buy of cables!!

Regards Chris.

Where the cable is bolted to the clutch pedal, if it is tight it will bend the cable and brake every time in the place you have pionted out.

Slacken the bolt going through the top of the clutch pedal and the banjo type end of the cable will move freely and stay in line when you operate the clutch, it will last for years.

QCC1148 QH clutch cable fits perfectly and it is a lot cheaper.

FreeRange7

Brent 's abservation is the correct one You MUST keep the outer sleeve as far out of the pedal box as you can otherwise the inner drags rounda sharp bend every time you depress the clutch and saws through the cable Start your cable install with that position fixed and make the necessary adjustment at tother end

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.