Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bridgestone Potenza RE720 v Yokohama A021R

Drumster

I've always used 21Rs on my 7 in 185/70/13 profile and have found this to be an excellent tyre for the road and cheap as well (I think the current price is £47 inc VAT).

Recently purchased some wheels which came with RE720s (plenty of tread) in 185/60/13 profile (I think). I know nothing about the Potenzas.

I'm now wondering whether to sell the RE720s and refit with 21Rs or stick with the Potenzas. Will I notice much difference in performance or shouldn't I be worried?

Any advice greatly appreciated that can shed light on the comparison between the 2

Chris Alston

C7CAT 1800 Supersprint

R248.89 *tongue* ....and then I jumped in *eek*

The RE720's used to be the list 1a tyre of choice for speed events and are agood tyre but not as soft as a 21R. I would try them and see what you think and to be honest if you mainly drive on the road I doubt that you will feel much difference in their performance.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• 5 years later...

I came across this thread as I am in exactly the same possition as Chris was.

Picked up a spare set of wheels today ( rims in much better condition than mine as only used for sprinting etc) & these bridgestone tyres are fitted. Well scrubbed & with loads of tread left.

How did you find them or would I be best advised to bin them & stick with AO21's as I am so used to this excellent tyre?

Hi Martin,

Can't help I'm afraid as I didn't take Mark's advice. The Potenzas never made it anywhere near the car as I sold them on straightaway as I was able to afford new 21Rs. I guess at the time as the 21Rs were (and still are) a List 1B tyre and grippier than list 1A I decided that the Potenzas would be a retrograde step.

After all these years I still run 21Rs in 70 profile on the road ......

thanks for the reply Chris *thumbup*

The tyres are just an extra really as first & foremost I was after some rims in better condition than mine. In time I will have my existing rims refinished....perhaps even in a snazzy deep gold colour! *eek*

I am now so used to the performance of the AO21R that I may well do the same as you did.

(Off to Austria late June in the caterham to drive some of the alpine passes so having reliable tyres is important)

I

Quoting Aeroscreens: 
I've always used 21Rs on my 7 in 185/70/13 profile and have found this to be an excellent tyre for the road and cheap as well (I think the current price is £47 inc VAT).

Hey Chris where did you get them at that price? Ive been quoted 50 + VAt at Polley?

Strangely, like Chris many years ago and Martin presently, I have also got some spare wheels with well-treaded RE720s that deserve a good battering...

Can you still fit 185/70R13 A021s easily under lowered wing stays?