Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LA half shaft removal - help

jonboylaw

All,

I am just changing the diff on my ford equipped LA supersprint. One of the half-shafts was easily extracted with finger tips... the other is solid, immovable and other wise stuck fast.

I have improvised a slide hammer but this has not worked, I have tried fitting an old inverted brake drum and parallel hitting it (simultaneous hits either side of the drum).

I should get the loan of a slide hammer soon, and failing this I will try to screw some bolts through the axle casing to press against the bearing cap and try to loosen it that way.

Does anyone know the thread on the axle so I can order some long bolts?

Also, why would one half shaft be such a problem? Finally, the axle is just hanging from the rear shocks, I have disconnected the A-frame and the rear links, would this make the slide hammer less efficient as the axle is now free to slide sideways to some extent.

Regards,

Jon

-----------------------------------

Ital or Ford... the choice is yours....

Hmmm, I'll have the ford please Bob.

Edited by - jonboylaw on 17 Mar 2008 17:18:57

If you locate the axle better it'll be easy'er to remouve the halfshaft, it's not really good for the dampers if you let the axle hang on them.

Beware if you work with a slide hammer, if you hear a metal sound while hammering = *thumbup* if not = *cry* then there will be some of your flesh between the hammer and the bar

I intend to replace the shocks at some point as they are about 15 years old so I am not overly concerned about them, still I could try a firmer fixing for the axle.

Ah, thanks for the tip on the slide hammer... I already gave myself a skin graft last week whilst undoing the diff nuts... the complete epidermis shaved by a razor sharp aluminium body panel..

Jon

And when it's cold outside you think where all that red paint is comming from *confused* but it is'nt paint *eek* you realise when you look at your hands.

An electric paintstripper is always better than an open flame to heat up the axle since the fuel tank is rather close to it.

• Area Representative

If the axle isn't solid you lose much of the force of the slide hammer. Removal relies very much on the initial "shock" to free the bearing. I suggest you reconnect the A frame to get best chance.

I used to remove Ford halfshafts on a regular basis and some can be really stuck. I made up a slide hammer using an old halfshaft with a cortina hub as the weight. It proved very effective when many proprietary pullers weren't. You'd be welcome to borrow, but It's a bit too heavy to post.

LADS Top Tip:-

When you replace the halfshafts smear some silicone sealant in the corner of the axle where the bearing sits. This will stop diff oil leaking past the bearing and onto the brakes. *thumbup*

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Right all,

I will give the combined efforts a go this weekend and see if we cant shift the bugger!...

A-frame and links on, body chocked against the wall, slide hammer on, bearing case warmed and a few good tugs... I will let you know how it all goes.

Jon

Edited by - jonboylaw on 21 Mar 2008 11:39:23

Edited by - jonboylaw on 21 Mar 2008 11:39:41

Wahey,

borrowed slide hammer did the trick, a few wallops and it came out easy as pie. Steve, you were right, it was the bearings rusted in place. All sorted now, new diff in and it went back together easily.

Thanks to you all.

Jonathan