Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Half shafts

caterhamnut

Came off 'en route' so quite lucky. Had an issue with the rear wheel bearings a few months ago (unusual apparently) so the hubs (and bearings) had been changed. Maybe the shaft was subject to some stress at this time? See picture below (few dabs of grease on the 'clean' fresh break, but possibly some signs of corrosion around the outer edge suggesting a crack for a while??)

here

One of the few bits on the car that are 'original' so high mileage.

Anyway - thankful it happend when it did (approaching the Hogs back) and not at Spa, or when Tessa was driving on the motorway. Characterised by 'suspect handling' followed by a gradual rubbing as the wheel started to slide along the splines - held on by the caliper (hence the binding!)

Thanks (again!) to Peter who came out with a trailer...

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

102,000 miles car

Edited by - angus&tessa on 12 Feb 2008 16:58:24

Possibly.

Not sure - twice recently?

I'll be interested to see if there is any place in the UJ's once I take them off the car, simply because they were on the 'list' to maybe replace anyway, simply because of mileage/use etc - this has just hastend the process a tad!

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

102,000 miles car

Looks nasty, they are hideously expensive and I think a fairly Caterham specific part. About £180+vat each and the designed changed a few years ago so if you buy one new one now it's likely it will be a different design to the other one. The new ones are substantially lighter as well. (compared with the early 90's ones I had on my car)

I changed one a year or so ago when I thought I had a problem and subsequentially changed the other side about 6months later as a precaution, mine were 40k+ old but a lot of that was on track with quite a bit more oomph than your car.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

The shaft is a unique length, but are the ends standard Ford Sierra perchance? Anyone got one of the old repmobiles to pull a shaft out for a look? Or see if Ford dealer can order one into their parts department for an inspection?

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

I've got two in my garage. I changed them out last year, because one of the boots was split, so I bought 4 boot kits with the intention of re-furbing them at my leisure.

So, if your interested we could maybe sort something out. PM me, but I won't be able to reply until this evening, meetings in London today ☹️

To be honest I've never seen this happen on a tintop. Given the lightness of the Caterham I doubt the half shafts are stressed beyond their capability, not even if it's a CSR. They were designed for a Sierra - and have been used on Cosworths etc. I've got a friend who has been rallying one with 3-400BHP for years without issues.

Nor would I be afraid of the milage - how many tintops don't do 100k miles? - at least on the mainland...

My Passat is on it's first set driveshafts, it's done 374k km without issues, and those have been removed a few times to change the bearings which certainly is an issue on that car.

I think you've just been unlucky.

/r

*thumbup* - thats even better news Rob - I can call it an 'upgrade'! *wink*

RJ - I'm sure you are right. I have been very careful not to suggest it is a 'failure' which should be worrying to others - I suspect that the work we did on them a few months ago may have set up some stresses or localised problems. *thumbup*

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

102,000 miles car