Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham sequential gearbox.

Mickrick

*arrowup* 😬 But what about the historic link? I'm thinking of ditching the Idea of tillets, for a couple of red leather chesterfields with white piping. A sort of gentlemans prisoner edition. *wink* Maybe an addition to the regalia section could be a L7C smoking jacket?

I think this thread has digressed!

If all around you say it can't be done, all the more reason to do it!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to get 280bhp+ from your Duratec then you need to go to someone whoc can supply all the kit necessary not just the engine, i.e you'll need an exhaust that's tuned to your engine - without it you're probably not going to harness the full potential of the engine.

To my knowledge there's currently only one supplier who can provide the engine and ancillaries required and that aint Cosworth *tongue*

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

Oh and Brnet, Nicks suggestion sounds sensible, I know Peter told me years ago that the standard Duratec pump is overly efficient and so will drain the sump very quickly. As I said the other day I had problem with my Pace dry sump where oil was 'dissapearing' in the engine at higher revs and this was eventually solved by running the windage plates very close to the crank.

So given both ot the above I think the Duratec might be prone to being slow to return oil to the sump and an overactive pump just highlights this? Who knows 😬

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

Mike, yes I agree that may well have been part of the problem and yes, I will be more than gutted if my new engine does the same. In fact you will probably hear me from Fleet if it still does it, as I attack the car with a sledge hammer but given the provenance of the builder, I am quietly confident that my oil pressure woes are behind me. *smokin* *thumbup*

Errrrrmmmmmm, it couldn't happen a 3rd time...........................could it? *confused* *confused* *confused*

[hastily clutches onto wood/rabbits foot/chucks salt over left shoulder/careful not to break any mirrors/avoids black cats]

Certainly I think that with some sump installations, there may well be problems of aeration caused by the crank, and thus cavitation in the pump, but hopefuly a windage tray of the correct design and location will minimise this phenomenon.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 3 Feb 2008 09:42:40

Update on the Cosworth sump/Raceline bellhousing interface problem.

I've just had the bespoke aluminium lugs/brackets I designed to allow me to use the lower rear bolt holes in the sump delivered from the machiners. If I say so myself, they do look *cool* *smokin*

I just hope they fit now! 😳

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

R 417.39 😬

Issued 31.01.2008 by Caterham Cars Ltd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THUMBS-UP FOR NEW SEQUENTIAL GEARBOX

British GT Championship race winner and former Caterham front-runner Guy Harrington is among a host of experienced drivers to have set their seal of approval on the new six-speed sequential gearbox to be fitted to the Superlight and CSR 260 models this season.

The new Quaife-supplied 'box makes the cars "a real dream to drive", says Harrington, who was third in the Superlight Challenge in 2006. "The shifts are accurate and clean," adds Guy, "and the 'box did not miss a beat despite many hours of hard driving. It makes it one of the most exciting cars I have driven."

Caterham engineers are part-way through an extensive validation programme with both the C400 Superlight and CSR 260. More than 50 existing and prospective Caterham racers will have been involved in the test programme by the time it is concluded.

The reigning Eurocup Champion, Clive Richards, and Britain's leading female racer, Rachel Green, have both sampled the cars, with Green lopping half a second from her previous best lap of Snetterton. Said Richards: "I was very impressed. The new gearbox makes the CSR an improved car, and more enjoyable to drive. I'm enthused by it."

"We are very pleased with the results we are achieving from the test programme," said Caterham Motorsport Director Magnus Laird. "It's clear that the enhanced Superlight and CSR 260 are both going to be much quicker propositions as well as smoother and more exciting to drive."

There is keen interest in both the Avon Tyres Caterham Superlight Challenge and the evo Caterham Eurocup for 2008. As well as a number of new names planning to join the UK grid, old hands such as Green, Grahame Tilley, Tony Poole, Craig Welsher, Bill Addison, Peter Ratcliff, Chris Cappuccini, Ron Johnson and Pat Maher have tipped their names into the hat.

Backers for Caterham Motorsport's UK and European race series include Bilstein, Brian James Trailers, Cooper-Avon Tyres, The Daily Telegraph, Demon Tweeks, evo, HSBC Insurance Brokers, Motorsport News and Stack.

Provisional calendar

Avon Tyres Caterham Superlight Challenge

26 May, Castle Combe

7/8 June, Snetterton F3/GT

12/13 July, Brands Hatch GP F3/GT

16/17 August, Silverstone Int F3/GT

30/31 August, Donington Park

17-19 October, Brands Hatch Indy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESS RELEASE ENDS

Your web links for further information are:-

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Quaife-6-speed-heavy-duty-in-line-RWD-sequential-gerbox

http://www.caterham.co.uk/assets/html/motorsport/motorsport_news_story.html?ID=25

© 2006 - 2007 Quaife / MSO.net Home / Online Catalogue / Careers / A-Z Site map / Legal

If all around you say it can't be done, all the more reason to do it!

Dave J. Not necessarily due to that I think.

The Duratec isn't the only engine with oil spray to the pistons. I wouldn't be at all surprised if something else is going on here - maybe even akin to what was happening in my old engines.

Blat mail me your email address and I will talk to you later. Just got to eat first. *wink*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

R 417.39 😬