Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting a reversing light switch

SMerK

I need to fit a reversing light switch. I (think) I've located the correct hole in the gear box from on-line build manual (opposite access hole on drivers side of central transmission tunnel). I have the switch from Caterham.

The wiring has only 1 wire with a press stud type connector on the end (like a single 9V battery connector). The advice from Caterham Part dept. (really helpful with advice, especially for newcomers like me, - thanks 😶‍🌫️) is that I have an older wiring loom designed for the older FORD(?) gearbox switch (earthed via the gearbox).

So... I can fit the new switch with the live / earth pins. Connect the live wire (button changed to a push on fitting) to the switch. I will need to create a new earth connection from the second pin. Caterham Parts advice was to the Chassis itself.

*confused* Help & advice please :

*arrowright* Does what I've detailed above make sense? Anyone spot a flaw in it? 😳

*arrowright* How & where do I terminate the new earth wire? My inclination is to drill a very small hole in a chasis tube & screw the wire down (round connector end). BUT drilling the tubes makes me nervous. Am I being too cautious? 😳 or is there a better way? A proprietary fixing or clip or strap or...anything that can be recommended? *confused*

Any advice very welcome. 😬

Ka7ie 1.4k Supersport

Edited by - SMerK on 16 Jan 2008 13:22:51

Edited by - SMerK on 16 Jan 2008 13:23:56

It all sounds sensible to me (which of course, doesn't mean that it is *tongue* )

It certainly sounds as though you'll need to supply your own ground. The chassis is earthed via the engine strap so in theory you could certainly tap an earth connection to that - I've had to drill several holes into the chassis for various reasons over the years and whilst it's a bit scary the first time, it's going to be safe, so long as you mind where you're drilling.

Another alternative would be to tap into an existing earth connection (although i'm not sure that there are many running through the tunnel) You could play it safe and run a wire back from the battery earth itself if you wanted - it's likely to be a little more fiddly to install though and perhaps a bit more unsightly. I don't see why you couldn't use a ring terminal through one of the gearbox cover plate bolts if you can get to one of them..

In any case, before you go ahead and do it, just take your proposed earth lead and test it against somewhere first before you go to the effort of drilling anything *thumbup*

Hope that helps a bit..

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54