Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wet tyres

dreamer_uk75

Hi,

I bought a set of wets, but never used them. When it was really wet then very few 7's were out on track, all tucked up in garages waiting for rain to stop 😬

I think other issue is, if it's only damp then they will overheat pretty quickly.

However, if you like being out on a really wet track then go for it!

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

I thought A021's were pretty good in the wet, weren't they the ones used as wets by the formula ford series at one point? I've just got hold of a set of Avon Turbo speeds which I've been informed by one who races are brilliant in the wet *wink*

If you don't need road legal then Avon race wets are good - I see they now do directional ones as well as the older pattern. As you'd expect though these are for proper wet conditions *eek*

If road legal then Avon CR28's are recommended but I don't know if they are still available. CR 500's are also OK in the wet.

V7 HPD

I don't think it has to be road legal (will check). I am not sure how the A048R's are in @damp@ conditions - what's the general opinion?

I don't have the option to sit in the garage and wait, as it depends when the race starts, and on track I've only come in when I can't see where I'm going anymore :D

Another vote for Avon race wets, in monsoon conditions, they are fantastic. However as stated above if the track starts to dry during the race they will cook. And quickly. You can pick them up cheap on ebay occasionally if you keep an eye out, they're not all that desireable as they're not road legal.

IMO AO48s are OK in the damp, it's water clearance they are spectacularly rubbish at. But CR500s are a lot better apparently. For a compromise wet tyre CR500s are probably the way to go.

CR500s and 21Rs are much better in damp conditions than 048Rs (I can't remember which of the two is better - 021Rs probably...) - but 048Rs are much quicker in the dry. If you're going for two sets of tyres, slicks and wets would seem the obvious choice. If you're sticking with 048Rs, then CR500s could be a (road legal) wet weather tyre (but watch for the ride height drop). 021Rs have a deeper tread but by time they really come into play, most races would be halted.

In the dry, 048Rs are about a second quicker than CR500s and CR500s are about a second quicker than 021Rs.

One final point is that 048Rs are "compendent" in the wet - I once nearly won an open sports & saloons race on 048Rs when there was a cloud burst with two laps to go and most of the others were on slicks.

I've been trying to get part worn wets from Pro Tyre for over a year now, just phoned again, they are like rocking horse sh1t. As the radial wets once worn are used as inters, so they seem to last ages.

New wets are £500, so rather than spend that, I'll just stick to CR500's and won't drive on the track in the hissing rain *cool*

Cool thanks guys - will read and digest properly in a bit, but looks like it might not be worth getting proper @wets@, but go for an interim tyre like the CR500... or not bother and just use the A048's - can't see that I'll be good enough yet for 1 sec to make that much difference.. it's more the spinning control etc...

How much less ground clearance is there on CR500's compared to 48R's then?