Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Winter Lay Up

Foggy

Having taken the decision to take my pride and joy off the road for the winter she is now tucked up under her duvet (Breathable cover) and sat on her pink carpet in the garage. A trickle charger is taking care of her life support systems during this period.

On the assumption that I am not the only one who chickens out of winter, what do others do as regards mainting the car through this dormant period? The car has been sorned so a quick blat around the block may be possible but a long run is clearly out of the question. Should I start her up now and again or will that do more harm than good?

Your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated people, thank you. *wink*

It's a car. Tax it, mot it, insure it (although there does appear to be a good case not to do so form the ridiculously low fines handed out these days) and drive it! That's the best way.

However, if you are determined to treat it like a toy 😬, then leave it alone exactly as described. You'll not get it hot enough and working hard enough to remove all the condensates from the oil that collect in it when it cools down - so it'll get worse and worse.

Mine is tucked up, roof on, under a nice coating of ice, outside, ready and raring . . . 😬

Bri

i have seen recommendations to get it on axle stands and off its tyres. thus avoiding oval tyres. Either that or rotating the wheel periodically.

Check coolant concentration is up obviously. Check tyres, replace pads or whatever else needs doing too. Grease propshaft, wheelbearings etc

I'd be careful about leaving a trickle charger plugged in the whole time. You really need a 'conditioner', which is intelligent, otherwise you could kill the battery. If you do have one, I'd try and use it with a timer to limit the charge period to an hour a day (the battery will only be running the immobiliser)

Ask me how I know 😔

Now, I use the FIA switch to disconnect the battery completely and very rarely plug the charger in.

Also, pump tyres up higher than usual (don't forget to re-adjust before taking it back on the road!) or put on axle stands.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 13000 miles completed!

Sorry should have been more specific, when I said "trickle charger" that was my lay mans speak for a conditioner. I have her plugged in to a CTEK36 charger & conditioner which I have been advised is fine for prolonged lay ups such as over winter. That is unless someone knows different? I am also intrigued about the oil change advice I have received, only done around a 1000 miles since a service. Does the oill change recommendation still apply?

I am currently tracking down axle stands to keep the tyres safe as they to are very recent Toyo R888's which I would hate to "oval" just by letting her sit there!

Very many thanks for all your advice people, very much appreciated for us newbies. *wink*

I personally would rather change the oil & be done with it irrespective of the mileage covered. I don't know enough about the detrimental effects that the old oil has on engine components. I'm sure that Google would reveal something relevant. Once the salt's on the roads my car is up on stands until the spring. I change the oil after its last run while it's hot & then do the rest of the maintenance over the winter.

You know it makes sense *smile*

On stands

Remove mats, tonneau, headrests etc & hide in spare bedroom !

Wipe all black powdercoated tubes & floor panels with WD40.

Once a week - spin all wheels

operate steering

operate clutch

operate brakes ( inc hand brake )

operate all switches on dash

operate gear lever

Leave boot cover open, ( I had a previous 7 that went mouldy in boot ).

Once a week sit in car and go Brm brmm brmmm yeeeeeoweeeeeeeeeeeee 😬

Born again sevener

1st time around back in 1991 *eek*