Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Will this have damaged the Cat?

The Pikey

I took my Superlight 150 in for the post build check the other day. Dispite checking everything I could, I still could not get the engine to run right. When I collected it I was told it was now fine. They found the sensor that changes the voltage to the injectors was wired backwards so a higher voltage at tickover than at full throttle and it just needed a run to clear it out.. Being a little unsure of this I decided to take it for a blast to "clear it out". After only 1/4 of a mile the cat was orange and I dont mean a dull glow I mean bright bright orange and I think that stainless needs to be 900-1000 deg to glow like this . I took it back and after pluging the laptop in and saying its seems ok the guys there decided to put a set of plugs in it and then it ran fine. So I am guessing that unburnt fuel was getting burnt in the cat and that was why it was orange. So, my question is, could this have damaged the cat or shoten the life in any way?

Thanks in advance

Jason

Currently I am qualified to plead ignorance.

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 9 Dec 2007 19:27:45

It was at the suppliers where the post build was done and I did say it was bright orange, I was told it would look orange in the dark but I don`t think they fully epreciated it looked like an ripe Jaffa!

Jason

Currently, I am qualified to plead ignorance.