Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which oils for R500?

clarkey

My car is turning up on thursday, so I need to buy some oils.

I know that I need to use Mobil 1 15/50, but should i use a different oil to run it in? What running in procedure have people used?

Also, which diff and gearbox oil do you recommend? Red Line?

Thanks for your help.

The recommended fluids are in the build manual and the owner's book.

For running in you should not use a fully synthetic, high performance oil. The R500 is different though, the engine has been run in and tested at Minister before installation in the Caterham. I'd therefore use Mobil 1 MotorSport from the go. I'd still be a little gentle for the first few hundred miles.

If your car is "turning up" is it not fully built? - with all the fluids already in place.

Standard running in is 500 miles not over 400rpm then oil & filter change. After that it's use as normal - whatever that is in a seven.

Gearbox oil recommendation is Ford part number 1045737 (2 litres)

Dif oil is EP90 (approx 1.2 litres)

Brake fluid you have more freedom of chioce on, I'm using AP600 which is officially not for road use but is high performance and just needs changing more often.

The engine will still be dyno'd by Minister already so I'd use 15w50 from the start. The manual will tell you that the engine is already run in and initially you just have to do a few miles to bed in the brakes etc. With the R500 you can play from day one is the implication.

Isnt the R500 engine supplied already run-in?

Opps - should have read the follow up from Count.

Edited by - adam on 6 May 2002 15:26:14

Edited by - adam on 6 May 2002 15:26:50

Clarkey,

Collected mine about three weeks ago. It arrived with 157 miles on the clock as it failed it's first SVA and had to be taken back to Gillingham the following day for re-test.

Tim assured me it was ready to go ie: pre run in and after the the last couple of days back and forward to SVA the brakes and gearbox were pretty much bedded in.

By the time I drove back to Germany it required it's 500 mile service. I spoke to a couple of the guy's Marius and Graham about the service and then rang Simon Lambert who confirmed that if the R500 missed it's 500 mile service it would not change the warranty as the car is pre run in and already using Mobil one fully Synthetic oil. Was advised to just check the car over for any possible loose nuts and bolts (this has been done to death as the weather has been crap lately)

My car will not be used a lot on the track but will still change the oil every 3,000 road miles.

Hi Marius,

Have been out in car today, "bloody fantastic".biggrin.gif

I'm working tommorrow and then back to UK on the Bank holiday don't get back to Germany till late Fri night. I've got a golf match against Duisburg on Sunday, so if the wife let's me out to play, might be able to get down on Sat, but can't promise.

My mate picks up the new Evo 6 on the 16 May and we will be looking to make a trip to the ring soon afterwards. If your interested I could give you a call let you know dates etc. Hows the car?

Clarkey, sorry to wander off your thread, I assume you are keeping up dated with the Mobil one thread. Very interesting topic and I for one will not be a happy bunny if what Jules says is correct.

I've stocked up on Mobil 1 now - it appears that Halfords are running out of it, and as I'll be using 16 litres of it in the next month or so, better safe than sorry....

No problem about wandering off the thread, I'm hoping to be working on the car tomorrow anyway....

Quote "Collected mine about three weeks ago. It arrived with 157 miles on the clock as it failed it's first SVA and had

to be taken back to Gillingham the following day for re-test. "

And they say factory built cars don't fail SVA ?

Roy

Roy,

I should explain, I needed to really press Tim to get the car sorted as soon as possible, as I was leaving to go back to Germany the next day.

He organised the first available SVA. Unfortunatley on the day of SVA the Gillingham inspectors were being inspected themselves, so they went over the car with a fine tooth comb. It apparently failed on a few minor things as well as noise. He took it back the following day where it sailed through as things had then returned to normal.

Just bad timing I think.(or maybe he just fancied another cabbie of my car before he handed it over)

Clarkey,

Jules has not explained the difference between "Mobil One" and "Mobil One Motorsport" Do you know what he's talking about or have you just gone ahead and purchased normal Mobil One oil?

Blatman,

I have a bottle of Mobil 15w-50 sat in front of me now and it has a red top and is clearly labelled "15W-50 fully Synthetic oil" There is no picture of a motorbike and the writing on the rear of bottle says:

SAE 15W-50 viscosity grade is specially formulated for high performance engines. "Mobil 1 is used exclusively by Team Penske in all of their race cars" (no idea who Team Penske are)

My main point is there is nothing suggesting it is "Mobil 1 MOTORSPORT oil"

Where d'you get it fromquestion.gif

I've been using Mobil 1 Motorsport for a long time, and it's always been packaged as described (4 litre packs, this is), with a gold cap................

Team Penske are a CART team.................

Edited by - Blatman on 8 May 2002 21:20:14

the stipulation I have is that you should use a good quality fully synthetic 15w 50 oil, I've always used the Mobil1 variety of this but can't see why you couldn't use other brands - I think that people saying 'Motorsport' on reflects the SAE rating and not some special magic that they only put in that brand.

Clarkey - why don't you get George to furnish you with some of red lines finest?

I actually buy the oil from an American PX in Germany so this is probably why there is some confusion. The American bottle has no mention of Motorsport anywhere and after buying two cases of the stuff would of been a bit sick to find it was not the right kind. My fault I guess sorry for confusion. (does seem to work out very cheap compared to UK prices though)

One thing that you need to be a bit careful about is that (unless Caterham have revised their advice now), the factory were recommending Comma Syner-G, wereas Minister were advising the Mobil 1 15W-50. But DEFINITELY, the fully synthetic stuff from the start.

I actually ran mine in on 0W40 Mobil 1 for 500 miles (because that was the original grade of oil recommended, and during this time the car would never see enough load/temperature to cause any problems.

Although the engine is indeed run in before you get it, the gearbox, diff, half shafts, brakes etc are not, so I happily used 7,000 rpm at this time, but on part throttle. Also, if you have built the car yourself, you will be waiting for things to drop off for the first few hundred miles, so going slowly doesn't take too much self control!!