Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stack External Warning Light - How to wire in?

MikeE

I have a standard R400/500 stack dash and bought an external warning light last year. I want to hook it up to the dash to give me an early warning should the dry sump belt go (or any other warning the dash might show).

So does anyone know how to wire it? I believe you have to open up the multi-pin connector and solder it into a couple of spare pins but which ones? Or is there an easier way?

thanks,

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

Forget the Stack - you want it totally independant. You will find the oil pressure sensor on a brass fitting connected to the oil filter assembly by a braided pipe. You will see the Stack sensor with a wire attached, and there will also be another attachment with a spade connector but nothing connected. All you need to do (IIRC) is run a wire from this to your light, and the power through a circuit switched from the ignition switch and you are away! It was very easy on mine, but I suggest you experiment before wiring everything up. Quite why the car already has the second sensor unused, I don't know, but mine did.

Slipper,

the switch on the sensor is a very low pressure - basicly useless - warning lamp.

If anything you want to make a gated high pressure switch like what's OEM on a VW.

If you haven't got 1.8 bar - 26 PSI at 1800 RPM you'll get both visual and audible alert.

The switch is normally open, and the electronics expects it to close at revs.

/regin

There are some large assumptions being made regarding Mike's engine installation.

Mike, on most stack looms there is a female spade connector (normally a yellow wire) labelled 'Alarm' which will switch to earth. If you don't have this, then I don't know which pin it is offhand, but Peter Carmichael's the stack expert.

I know the switch is low pressure, but the keyissue for me is knowing that one of the lights is working. I was going to get a higher pressure oil pressure switch, but as all the people I know who have had the light go on have run their bearings anyway, I have never bothered.

Re the Stack, as I said above you don't wire the external light through it. It is simpler and better to have a completely independant warning.

Should have said I have a 2004 R400 with a home grown Duratec and a stack dash.

Slipperman - my oil pressure sensor is in the raceline oil filter housing, it only has two spade connectors which are already used.

As Stuart says I just want to wire upto the Stack as I then have an external (in my eyeline on the top of the cage) warning light for water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, low fuel and low voltage. all useful to know.

I did take a look at the loom last year but its a bugger to get to from the footwell. Don't remember seeing an 'alarm' spade connector but if this does exist it'll be way easier than taking the connector apart so thanks Stuart *thumbup*

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here