Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox oil...already supplied?

gwiddicombe

Had an attempt at getting the engine in. One of the parts in the process says:

'Remove the gearbox filler plug. This is not essential, however access is restricted within the confines of the transmission tunnel'.

My question is, has the gearbox already got oil in it? When I attempted to remove the filler plug, some oil started to seep out, so I quickly did the plug up again. I've continued with the engine install, but I'm wondering if I need to add oil to the gearbox.

Is the way to check to fully undo to plug, and see how much oil comes out? If so, how would I then know if the gearbox has the right amount of oil in?

My Caterham Build Diary available here

The gearbox you get from CC has a small residual quantity of oil in it.

The advice to loosten the filler plug before you instal the box is because it isn't the easiest little bu&&er to get at with the gearbox in the car and it would be a pain to have to take the box out again because you couldn't unscrew the plug.

Wait until the car is on its wheels and top-up the box with oil SLOWLY through the filler plug on the side until it starts to overflow. This is a foolproof method of judging the correct level of oil *cool*

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

During the build you have the luxury of being able to fill the 'box from the top, via a funnel and tubing, before you fit the transmission tunnel cover *thumbup*. At least then you have gravity on your side

A short length of Allen key taped into a regular ring spanner gives you the best access to the filler plug.

Neil

Build pictures here

Guantanamo Bay Orange SUPERLIGHT R400......