Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Emerald setup problem...............

Unclefester

Finally I am fiddling with my (Emerald) ECU, through sheer neccessity.

As the Elsie has again failed its french MoT on high CO even after I'd put the Cat back on, I thought I'd better check it was on closed loop, which it wasn't.

I have told it to stay on closed loop mode, but while it's showing closed loop at tickover, any revving makes the closed loop switch off. *confused* *eek*

Also, I had 5 bars in the green (rich) side of the Lambda lean red through yellow to green (rich) indicator bar.......but by the end of the session, there was nothing showing on this indicator. *confused* 🙆🏻

I wonder if the Lambda is FUBAR???? *confused*

Or just totally knackered and of no further known use?

Has anyone seen onscreen symptoms of a dead Lambda using the Emerald software??

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Edited by - unclefester on 22 Sep 2007 12:50:40

So you think that renaming the topic will get you an answer.....

Which Lambda are you using?? I am using the Innovate LC-1 and have had a failure.

I actually fried the LC1 hardware, as the analog input from the Emerald was un-buffered. I got a new LC-1 and fitted the pre-requisite resistor.

The failure did indeed show up on the Emerald software as an incorrect reading.

If you are using the LC1, do you have a LED for fault display? Finally it is always worth checking your earths and re-calibrating the 02 sensor fully.

So you think that renaming the topic will get you an answer.....

QED *tongue*

I think it's the standard lambda as fitted to a S1 111S Elise.

Bad news about frying the LC1.

I've now heard of a CT station who will happily pass the car as they are buddies with a friend of mine here, so will prob leave the thing as is till I know what I'm doing with the Emerald software.....I've read the instructions, but as with any written instruction manual, you are better getting an over the shoulder look with someone who uses these things every day.

A DVD masterclass disc would be A Good Idea......if anyone is ready to show how to set up the Cat/Elise K engines with Emerald, I'd be happy to come over and shoot it, for sale to numpties like myself who don't feel the instructions answer all the questions.......

Funny you should mention that UncleFester, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll need to post a request soon for some help in getting a base map for my car... I've replaced my narrowband sender with an LC1 and removed the IACV.

I've get an old map but am struggling to understand everything in order to get a working map that I can then build on later with a rolling road session.

I was going to spend a few nights with the manual, but reckon I'll eventually need to put out a call for help (with the inevitable promise of good beverage and biscuit selections *smile* )

Edited by - k80rum on 23 Sep 2007 17:04:07

*arrowup*Obz, You may be right, that would explain the situation, but it's the first time I've heard anyone mention this.....I assumed the closed loop was either on or off, not on at certain revs and off under other load conditions.

Can any of the experts confirm this?

I'm still in the dark about the lambda on my Elise engine,whether it's still working or not, but it would help if this cutting out or switching off of the closed loop could be confirmed as 'normal' under acceleration or higher engine speeds.

The Emerald on this Elise engine is not the K3 but the earlier model M3DK with the version 7 software. I do have a K3 but it's for another car.

Ah, Uncle Fester you're a brave man to play with your Emerald. I, too have an early M3D version circa 1997, and can't even open up the floppy on laptop to see how to play with the software! Mines on a X flow and has been very reliable but I dread it failing. Any tips would be useful?

PS am still using your guide to ACRONYMS used on Blatchat!

Mine's currently set to be open loop for all TPS sites in the 0 and 500 rpm column and additionally at 1000rpm for the 0% TPS site. The rest of my map is in adaptive mode, the theory being that I want a solid idle, not have the Emerald hunting about.

One of the things on my list of things to do is investigate changing my Idle open loop settings for closed loop ones.

I've seen on quite a few .MAP files left on open loop across the map which should be changed if you're running wideband.

Darren E

Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 24 Sep 2007 22:12:04

Not yet... ☹️

It's still on the swan-necked KV6 manifold at the moment.

I couldn't recommend using my .map file yet, but if my setup looks similar and you want to give it a go, do by all means. I've upload the latest version (with the adaptive mapping set in it) - it runs but is pretty ragged and I haven't had more than a couple of minutes to sit down and tweak it with a methodical approach yet. I plan to over the next couple of weeks though.

In fairness, the ragged running is probably in due part to my abandoning the IACV -

The map works at idle, but it's far from perfect.

One thing that's worth checking if you're using a wideband sensor, is that it's calibrated for the Emerald. I've just realised that my Innovate isn't and so I'm going to tweak the AFR/voltage settings accordingly. The recommendation for the Analog 2 output of the LC1 is to indicate an AFR of 11.0 at 0.0 volts and an AFR of 16.0 at 5.0 volts. This gives a finer band of operation and makes it less susceptible to noise and voltage offset errors.

Darren E

Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 25 Sep 2007 13:56:03

Not using wideband Lambda, but may rip the one off my SV K1600 to see if it gives a different and healthier colourbar on the screen.

I'm also not going to arse around with it till later. I'm going to do a bendy CT for now.

All the French are interested in is the documentation, if it says it's been done OK then it IS ok.

A simple folk, but entertaining, and less madly impetuous than the Spanish.... *tongue*