Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trailer Winch question

Jeff

I have just purchased a manual winch for my trailer. It has an 1800 lb. rating. When reading the instructions there is mention of "maintaining a safety factor of at least 3 times the maximum load for all components used." Is this winch too light for my purpose? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If a Caterham weighs - say - 500Kg then lifting it straight off the ground would require a force of 500Kg = 1,100 lbs. and you would not have your safety margin.

To pull it up a 30 degree slope would require exactly half of this = 250Kg = 550lbs. (sin(30) = 0.5) You have your safety margin.

If you are just pulling it up on to the trailer, (i.e. so long as you are pulling the car up a slope less than 30 degrees) you should be well within the 600 lb. margin.

This assumes the car is rolling - if you have just mashed it into the armco and are dragging it up on 3 wheels that would be a different story, but for odd occasions the safety margin can probably be forgotten!

If you are still in doubt, put a spring balance between winch and car and see exactly how much force you are using.

Farmer Terry (and his car)

Yes. I'm just pulling it up the ramp. I used to be able to push it up myself or sometimes with a little help. I've just had a hip replacement and think it's probably a better idea to now get some "mechanical help." So Farmer does that winch seem to be okay? Or should I go to the next size up?

Thanks for the responses

Nigel. On slicks it's low enough that the added weight of the driver causes it to bottom. There is also just enough room for the car on the Thanks all for your responses. Keep the advice coming.

I bought a winch (normally for a quad or ATV) and fitted it to my trailer to drag it in to my garage (with 7 on up a slope). Mounted 12v batt in a box on the trailer to give the power. Works a treat, and if I can't be bothered to hand winch it'll pull the 7 on to the trailer too *cool*

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car 😬