Helical gears, so quieter than straight cut version

Ratios

1st 2.788

2nd 1.946

3rd 1.533

4th 1.222

5th 1.000

6th 0.845

Bought new in 2005 and done 5,780 miles. I re fitted my original straight cut box earlier this year, so no longer require this one.

In excellent condition, no known faults.

Quaife catalogue price is 4,240.00 + VAT, + 125.00 surcharge if no exchange box.

Asking 3,200.00

Edited by - Mike Biddle on 21 Aug 2007 11:05:22

Sorry, I don't have the money. ☹️... but out of interest why did you refit your old one?

Isn't the Quaife stronger than the original?

I've broken my box twice (sync rings then selector) and it's been suggested I upgrade it.

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car 😬

Alex, I thought you had gone down the Quaife route, then Elite, and finally back to Caterham six speed?? Do you still rate the Quaife after experiencing all three?

Andy, both my boxes are Quaife six speed sequentials, I just prefer the straight cut gears and ratios to the helical version.

Edited by - Mike Biddle on 21 Aug 2007 13:59:49

Mike

On the track this would be a fantastic box but how easy is it to use and live with on the road?.... slow trafic etc

Also does it have a conventional mechanical speedo drive... ?

Any mods to get it in an S3 chassis..?

Any problems re-importing.. customs etc

Cheers

Gary

Mike... hows the "re"build going? V tempted at the box, but just been quoted a stupid amount for the Phoenix manifold so shall sit this one out for 48 hrs... whilst I find a lower cost manifold... then I'm tempted!

Richard,

aka... Tricks...

aka darstardly

Y57 CDS

Known as Mutley

Q205 NNB

Sylva Phoenix

Gary, on the road you need to get used to it, thats all. Like remembering to go down through the box as you approach a junction etc, although it can be done very quickly in the last few yards before coming to a halt. Even if you do totally forget you can still change down while stationary, you just need to lift the clutch a bit in each gear as you change down. Even on the road the upchanges are worth it!

I've used this type of box in my car for 8 years, I think the one I put back in recently was one of the original first production run, and I've never regretted it.

No conventional speedo drive, but then again if you are relying on the Caterham speedo you might as well not have one anyway.

It fits straight into the S3 chassis, or at least it did into mine.

It's not in Dubai, it's at the shop in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire.

Ry, Cars in bits at the moment, and I'm not looking forward to the bill!