Click here if you are having website access problems ×

picture of minilite with 185/70/13

Miura

Tom really starnge : it seems you still have good clearance between the tyre and the cycle wing. Mu car is curretnly on 185/60/14 and theer is not much clearance with the wing stay, the 185/70/13 being a bigger circunference , I thought it would foul *confused*....

Andy, I have received your picture ..

spot on as my car is yellow as well. You tick all the boxes of my wish list :

yellow car

black polished wheel

yoko 21 on 70' profiles .

i'll go for that, they look good and they are cheap (BTW, are there still that cheap at polleys?)

£43 a wheel at Polleys for the A021s.

The difference between 185/60/14 and 185/70/13 is only 10mm on the diameter.

BTW please give generously to Bundle's Big Charity Walk for Asthma research here Ta.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX

see here - UPDATED again

I' m still running my Twin Cam on 185/70 x 13 Goodyear GT radial tyres, probably just because of sentiment since the car came from the factory in 1979 with Goodyear Grand Prix tyres. Believe or not, the current set of tyres are just the 3th in the car' s live !

On the Continent, we haven' t got a lot of choice in 185/70 x 13 tyres. Would it be better to consider for the next set of tyres something like Yoko, Avon, ... ? They are certainly cheaper than Goodyear.

The tyres on mine in the photo were the Academy Avon CR322s, which are rubbish. I'm now running on yoko a021r still in 185/70/13 and am really impressed with the grip. A048r or CR500 would grip better but are much lower profile.

BTW please give generously to Bundle's Big Charity Walk for Asthma research here Ta.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX

see here - UPDATED again

They are certainly cheaper than Goodyear
Yes, but they won't last quite as long - 5-6000 miles of road use rather 5-6000 track miles with the Goodyears *wink* The difference in wet grip in particular is chalk and cheese though and I wouldn't dream of swapping my Yokos for road use (except for CR500s or maybe the new kid on the block - Toyo R888s). Goodyear/Michelin are perfect for track day hooning though 😬

Edited by - Tony Whitley on 17 Aug 2007 07:55:26

the 60/13 give a racer look but that's the point: the rest of the car doesn't look like a race car and Nick how do you cope with the ride height? I can't buy a new sump every month *biggrin* (as Ealing council seems to enjoy burning the whole CT budget on himalayen speed bumps *mad*) Just for a laugh I will fit my 13 rims as they are : on 175/55 CR500's and see if can climb one of the speed bump, that should be interesting 😬

In terms of handling moving from 14'' yoko21 to 13'' yoko21 in 70profile : what should I expect if anything?

Edited by - Miura on 17 Aug 2007 11:12:32

Tony,

So if you understand you correctly, you state that a Goodyear or Michelin in 70 profile is better for track use than for road use. On the other hand, the Yoko A021 is better for road use.

I' m puzzled because the modern Yoko has a better reputation concerning grip and handling or are you just thinking about cost and durability. Please explain ? !

The Yoko is a much better tyre but I think you don't need grippy tyres to have fun on track (on a trackday). There are always slow drivers out there so naff tyres give you the chance to find the limits of the car and have fun sliding all over the place without wrecking the tyres you want to save your life on a wet road some day.

But then I have a attitude to Seven ownership 😬

FWIW I didn't have any trouble with ground clearance with 185/60 13 A021's driving round much of Europe last year *thumbup*

Jack F,

21r's are good on track, but can soon get too hot (so O.K. at Anglessey then *tongue*). They can then give the appearance of melting, with all the groove filling in with "goo". (Note - that only happens if the driver is enjoying themselves too much to notice the considerable loss of grip).

A damn fine road tyre IMO, even in 70 profile on 13" rims.

Dave

X-flow(er) power now resting. Trying Vx for a change.