Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Toyo R888

peewee7

• Area Representative

Just a quick line to let you know of the fist class service I had yesterday regarding Simply Tyres and Steve! I was after Toyo R888 in 185/60/13 and 205/60/13, as ever the site and everyone involved came to the rescue with their recommendations, absolutely recommend Steve for quality of service and price… *smile*

If you’re behind me and can read this, its because I’m letting you.... Pee Wee

• Area Representative

Dave,

He has his own set up; van with some quality bits of kit in, so imagine he can travel, but I took a trip out to his home in Wellingborough near Northampton. It cost me £230 + £10 per corner fitted and balanced (med / hard compound). Top fella! Should of seen the monsters he had for the rear of a GT3 RS, *eek* stunning but Ill stick to my Se7en *cool*

Regards,

Pete

• Area Representative

Wheels fitted, what a difference!! An amazing transformation, new rubber, different size, rolling road radius, I don’t know… but it just feels right… I had to dial in a little stiffer set up on the freestyle, well worth it. Don’t think Ill go back to the CR500’s. I’m a happy chappie, off to the Ring on Wednesday so will see what they are like under a bit of pressure… *wavey*

Thanks for the info Pete, Northampton is a bit far but i'll see what he/we can do. Do you have his number?

Glad you're impressed with them. I'm looking forward to getting shot of the 48's. Too twitchy for me.

Have fun at the 'ring, hope the weather lasts for you.

Dave

Hi,

Steve of Simply Tyres has a website ...here ..

I also visited him and got some 195/50/15 Toyo's 888 fitted for a superb price..They are a little squarer than my A048 and I had to adjust the cycle wings.

Just been for a blat and they are getting better by the mile

Steve

Northerner in a Nova Violet Brute.S777 XTC

I've had them in Nurburgring rain, ala European GP 2 weeks back!

The answer is they cope a lot better than I expected on wet surfaces, but I was being careful. They don't like standing water though (but no equivilant tyres do either)

Do a search for my thread on Simply Tyres, he did me a great service also and provides good advice on pressures etc *thumbup*

Lotus Boy - there is a medium compound which is labelled '2G'. I've ordered mine in this compound, on the advice of Steve at Simply Tyres. Apparently there is also a soft compound but Steve's comment to me was that the soft compound is REALLY soft and it'll last about one sprint meeting.

stephen

• Support Team

Just for information, I'm running the SG compound (that's the very soft one) for sprinting. As I drive to events (no trailer) they are also clocking up some road miles. So far they have been to Shelsley Walsh, Loton Park and Harewood (thats around 1000 road miles plus the events) and are holding up pretty well. Not that I would recommend them as a general purpose tyre (I have CR500s for road and track days) but I'm hoping they will last me a full season of events even driving to each one.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Shaun, I have an SLR with 13" cr500 175/55 front(6") and 205/55 rear (8").

I do about 6/ 8 trackdays a year and some road miles. The CR500's do provide good grip but get too hot on warm track days and are only lasting around 3 trackdays before they are illegal , which is quite expensive as rears are £115 each.

Would you say 888's would last better and will they have as much grip, should I go for the 2G version if they are okay.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks guys. I called Steve this morning and the tyres will be with me tomorrow *thumbup*

Have to say Steve was very friendly and helpful - can't believe how cheap he is...well his tyres is what I mean. Top fella indeed.

Didn't mention compounds but assuming they will be 2G then.

Thanks for info re the wet weather. I only use my car for the road and have never driven in the wet with my 48's. When running tyres of this nature I just pick and choose carefully and if things look iffy I stick my Prisoners and Yoko A539's on.

Dave

• Support Team

slysee - I haven't tried the R888s in 2G compund but reports from others seem favourable. I expect they will not go off as quickly as the CR500s and will give better dry grip. Even if they don't last any longer they are at least cheaper. I used to run Yoko A048s and they were better than CR500s on track. IMO though you can't beat the CR500 on road because of how light they are and how supple the side walls are which gives the best ride out of any of the tyres I have tried.

Having said that, when my current CR500s die I will be fitting a set of 2G R888s for road and track use.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

The 888 sound the way to go, this may be a silly question but if I change from cr 500 to 888 i cannot get the same profiles.

CR 175/55/13 front 205/55/13 rear

888 185/60/ 13 front 205/60/13 rear

Will this effect handling as had car flat floored, will ride heigth be different and what will happen to front to rear angle (at present about 15mm lower at front than back).

Will I need to get it all set up again?

Thanks

Allister

Allister,

If understand it all correctly your car will sit 1.4cm higher at the front with 185/60 and 1.1cm at the rear on 205/60 in comparison to your current set up.

Guess your car will then sit about 1.2cm lower at the front than the rear as a result.

if you want to play around (and check my calcs!!!) have a look...

here

All you need to know will be on here!

Have no idea about what differences it could make, I haven't flat floored mine...yet...when I do I will set mine up for the 13's and just live with it when on the 15's.

Dave

Need a new set of tyres also and want to order them now but not near the car. I'm running AO21Rs at the moment in 13" so presumably either 185/60 R13 or 185/70 R13 but don't know which. Which would be standard set up? What would be the equivalent in 888's?

Chris