Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlight clonking noises

MikeE

I just took delivery of an 18 month old Superlight 1600 from Caterham cars on Saturday. I've spent all weekend open mouthed at the driving experience and wondering why I didn't buy one years ago!

However I've noticed a couple of worrying(?) noises that I didn't hear on the other Caterham I test drove.

There seems to be a clonking/rattling on the rear suspension when going over bumps and also, as a separate noise, a bit of drive train shunt (diff?) when lifting off the throttle.

When in neutral there seems to be a grinding noise which goes when I depress the clutch - is this normal.

The cars only covered 6000 miles so I'd be surprised if this is wear and tear (I've got a 3 month warrantee from Caterham).

Can anyone give me any advice ref the above? Should I be worried about this?

Apart from these teathing problems the cars fantastic - roll on the first trackday!

cheers,

Mike.

Mike, those are just to bodges Caterham have made - don't worry, you say you bought it on Saturday? - that's the 20th April - nothing will fall off until 21st July.....

biggrin.gif

But seriously, I'd imagine that grinding nosies could relate to the lsd perhaps -IMHO in other cars, an lsd is always noisier than a standard diff. Driveline shunt is normal, so it would appear. I asked Hyperion to check mine out last year and they pronounced it "better than average"....

Clonking could be anything. I noticed a strange noise the other day, turned out the bolt that locates the spare wheel had worked its way loose. the toolkit can rattle quite a bit too - empty the "boot" and then take it out for a run

But I've owned three TVRs before so I know all about bodge engineering. What I've seen of the workmanship on the Caterham has impressed me so far, they're much better engineered. They actually use permanent fixings (rivets, screws and bolts) instead of the TVR solution of slapping evostick everywhere!

Reference the lsd - that's what the salesman said when I pointed it out on the test drive. What I don't understand is why it would do that when stationary and in neutral.

Edited by - MikeE on 22 Apr 2002 14:48:14

The continued clonking on my de-dion worried me - thought I had it sussed but . . .

rechecked everything - bolts holding bearing housings to ears and then to de-dion tube were tight, but not really tight - adjusted them.

A-frame appears to clout the washers either side of it as the bushes allow the frame to move.

However, the bolt tightening exercise reduced the clonking on my run to and from a mate in Stafford.

(the twit on the two lane wide, slow motor bike on the nice twisty road sfrom Ashbourne to Chesterfield spoiled it somewhat until I finally manged to guess which way he was going next and get past him!)

Hi Mike

Me too, I have a mettalic noise like zin zin when I lift off the throttle in 4th and 3rd (not much in 5 th) in the area of 3000 to 2000 rev.

My car is a sprint engine de dion 5 speed and I am worried about that.

I also took delivery of a Superlight at the weekend. The first thing I noticed was the increased noise from the gearbox/diff compared to my old 1.4 k series. I put this down to the lack of any soundproofing and the six speed box, but there again, I'm only a novice. Car still drives great.

The nosie from the clutch is actually the release bearing. The 1st motion shaft is noisy on the six speed, but only in neutral without the clutch pressed. Neither are anything to worry about.

A certain amount of shunt in the drivetrain is also not a huge problem. The 7 has less flexible or sprung joints in the driveline to quieten these down compared to a saloon car.

As for tyhe clonking, empty the boot first, and check again. Worst case its probably a damper rattling - have a close look and check the rear springs are not touching the turret panels.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

My 7 is the same - took it back to Caterham - they looked at it and said all was well.

It is jolly good fun weaving around man-hole covers though - I find the ones that have subsided give a nasty jolt and are best avoided. (make sure the boys in blue are not following as they will not work out what you are doing and probably pull you over!!)

Cheers

A

Edited by - abirtwisle on 27 Apr 2002 00:09:12