Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting a catalyst to 4 2 1 SLR collector

Pierre Gillet

I just had a quote from Darren for a catalyst (£468 +VAT) and a 6 " silencer (£250 + VAT) that would fit my 4 2 1 SLR collector. I would need them to pass the French MOT (Contrôle technique) and plan tu use my Raceco silencer in between the MOT interludes *wink*

Given the high costs involved, I need a flexible solution, and in this respect, I hope that only I 2 Mikalor exhaust clamps would be needed. I hope that welding would not be necessary...

Any experience ?

Cheers,

Pierre

Powerspeed are making me a new system with a build in catalyst. Given that the full 4-2-1 and silencer are £695 plus £200 to include a cat, it might be worth having a chat with them to see if they can make something cheaper than you were quoted. £468 for a catalyst seems a huge amount of money.

BTW please give generously to Bundle's Big Charity Walk for Asthma research here Ta.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX

see here - UPDATED again

On the SLR 4-2-1 I was under the impression that the secondaries were replaced by a 4-1 collector and cat and that no changes were required to the silencer to accomodate.

Bozz

McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS 6 Speed here

The main issue is that I do not want to remove the 4 manifolds 4- 2- 1 Rover, for some reasons (water rail must be removed as the car is a LHD, gasket head to water rail, steering column, chassis bracket ).

These 4 manifolds go, in my arrangement, into a 4 2 1 collector Rover VHPD.

The collector goes into a silencer.

I thought that the silencer could be replaced by a catalyst and a shorter silencer.

This solution was, in a sense, implied by Darren as he quoted to me a catalyst and a silencer.

I am a bit puzzled now ☹️

Any piccie of a 4 2 1 VHPD exhaust system with a catalyst ?

Mine is here

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 25 Apr 2007 14:58:00

Pierre

Blatmail me your email adress and i'll send you a pic of the cat in place.

I have a cat for my VHPD exhaust that just replaces the 4-2-1 pipe, it takes less than 5 mins to fit the cat.

Cheers

Piers

Thanks Piers for the photos. 😶‍🌫️

Very helpful *thumbup*

I understand now:

- the 4 headers remain unchanged.

- the 4 2 1 VHPD collector is replaced by a 4 1 collector which feeds a catatlyst (so only two screws attaching the collector to the headers must be undone).

- the silencer is attached to the collector/catalyst (Mikalor clamp).

Seems very easy and I could keep my Raceco and save £ 250 +vat of silencer.

I just received the catalyst (first class service by Darren really *thumbup*)

There is a plug for the lambda sensor drilled in the shell of the catalyst.

Should I move the lambda sensor from the header N°4 where it is presently located, or can I leave it where it is (preferred case) ?

If the lambda sensor had to me moved, could I make the wires longer by soldering ?

And lastly, I find that the 1.6 KK SS makes its special noise of tuned engine at lower RPM (3500 rpm) with the 4 1 catalyst than with the 4 2 1 collector (4200 rpm).

It also seems to have kept a reasonable torque at low rpm.

Pierre

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 3 May 2007 20:17:46

• 2 weeks later...

For the record:

My 1.6 K EU2 with SS kit and VHPD catalysed exhaust system passed the Contrôle technique (the French MOT) this morning. Emissions level was OK. I did not have to move the lambda probe from header N°4 to inlet of the catalyst.

Pierre

Certainly Cagey. *wavey*

The engine was quite hot. When the display of the computer showed OK, I was

relieved.

In fact, the operator was amazed to see this big catalyst (2 years ago I had only the 4 2 1 collector) and told me: you must have spend much money on it ! I agreed.

A big *thumbup* for Caterham Cars.They developed a very flexible exhaust system for the VHPD.

And thanks again to Piers who showed me the way 😶‍🌫️

here

Pierre

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 12 May 2007 10:30:17

• 5 months later...