Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Think I just blew up my engine

Hurtle

Bugger!!! *cry* 1.4ss k series

I think I missed a gear and put it in 1st instead of 3rd *redface* instantly lost power and conked out. 🙆🏻

After a long wait for the RAC I have just taken the Cam belt cover off and my exhaust side Vernier pulley has sheared the bolt that holds it on. I have not looked any deeper into the engine but I imagine it is not going to be pretty.

Looks like the 1.8 ex Elise S1 engine that is in the garage might be going in sooner than expected. *wink*

Whats the best way to check if i have done the engine serious internal damage.

Pull the plugs, if any are mangled, then heads are off the valves, check the coolant level, if its normal then the liners arent broken. Remove the cam cover and see if any valves are stuck open (followers stuck down), if there are any then it means bent valves.

oily

Oily, I pulled the plugs and they all look Ok, No Damage. The Coolant Level has gone down *thumbdown*, Not taken the cam cover off yet, will do that tonight.

Nick yep there is a bright side.

Adrian Thank you for your offer, But I think now is the time for the 1800 upgrade.

Hurtle,

Is the new engine an EU3 type perchance?

If so can I BUY your old, excess to requirements EU2 engine wiring loom please please please etc ad infinitum or ad nauseam whichever shall be the first.

I NEED an EU2 loom so as I can fit MY 1800 engine!

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Hurtle!

It's a pretty easy swap 1400 to 1800!! Do it..it transform the car!

All we did was swap the flywheel, swapped the 1400s/s cams over, including the followers into the 1800 head, ground the block for the starter and..if you haven't got them, put in the 1800 injectors and fuel rail..

Also swapped the 1400 s/s plenum onto the engine! Took a weekend at most!!

Dannyboy *tongue*

Uncle,

How can I tell the difference is it just the ECU plug? I think that both engines are EU2 type so I will need my Loom . Sorry.

If I dont need it, its yours but I need to check and work out my install before I let anything go.

Do Caterham sell a New Loom?

Jas.

I sank my battleship

Oily may clarify, but I think if you're moving your cams from one engine to the other, unless they're new cams and followers they're bedded in together...Not very technical here I'm afraid!! It involved removing them one by one and putting them back in the correct order for each cam so they didn't get switched around!!!

Took advice at this time from my father who bolted it together, and he seems to have known what he's doing after all these years! Check with Dave that this is the correct procedure and is/ isn't required!!!!!

Let me know if you need any help....I'm sure, time permitting I could come round, drink tea and find spanners 😬 😬 😬

Dannyboy *tongue*

Thanks Guys, It looks like the liners and the head is in a bad way, so not much will be of any use.

My upgrade plan for next winter was to fit the whole Elise engine, keeping the 1400 flywheel, using the SS cams and Verniers and maybe a bit of headwork and an Emerald. It is just going to have to be done a bit sooner. (Starting tonight.) *eek* The emerald was part of the plan and also a bit of upgradeitus, I believe it will also make the whole installation a bit easier.

I sank my battleship

Edited by - Hurtle on 19 Apr 2007 13:11:43

Hurtle,

If the new engine is EU3 it won't have a distributor....it'l have a different looking cam cover as well. The EU3 doesn't have a dizzy or an external coil, it has two seaparate coils under the cam cover.

If you are fitting an EU3 engine you will need to change the engine loom (probably)

Let me know which yours is......

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Allen, I think you are right, and after an email from Oily that is the route I will be taking, using the 1400 plenum and TB the SS ECU and the straw coloured injectors from the 1800.

Cheers

Jas.

I sank my battleship

Edited by - Hurtle on 20 Apr 2007 09:37:36