Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series Rough Idle

SimB

I could do with the collective wisdom of the K-Series experts in diagnosing a problem with my 1.8 EU2 K. Setup is pretty basic - std everything except 52mm TB and CC 4-2-1 exhaust. The issue is that idle is what I'd describe as 'rough'. I don't think it is misfiring, but something isn't quite right. I've replaced plugs (new ones from CC are Rover parts NLP000040 interestingly and not NGK), distributor cap/rotor and leads are fairly new (Magnecor). There seems to be no lack of power or hesitation when pulling. I've tried the ECU reset trick and checked the HT leads are well away from the crank sensor wiring.

Where should I look next? My lilmited experience has me a little stumped.

Cheers

Simon

Simon

Is it rough or just lumpy?

Mine is a 1.6SS EU2 with the same bits as yours plus verniers and does have a hint of the 'funny car wobble' at idle which I quite like actually. *thumbup* 😬

Bozz

McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS 6 Speed here

I thought it was a TADTS situation.....ECU causes the things to 'hunt' at tickover.

I have an ex Exige/Elise ECU on mine (K1600) temporarily and it hunts something horrible at tickover. Apparently this happens a fair bit on the Lotus K series cars.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Thanks for the responses guys.

Peter - I think the idle speed is probably OK - it's about 900rpm-ish.

Bozz - I think it is probably just lumpy - it is as if the tickover is modulated by a low frequency rather than being steady.

Gee Whizz - I did check the IACV contacts but I haven't gone further than that at present. I'll give it a clean at the w/e and see if that makes a difference. I've also got a new fuel filter to go in (unlikely to affect this I suspect).

I'm tempted to just leave it for now - I went for a blat after work today and I have to say the engine seems to have plenty of go otherwise.

I can't ignore this - there's some weird stuff going on here! This evening it was rougher than ever when starting and on the drive home some wierd stuff was happening - at each gearchange the revs would not immediately drop when I lifted off the throttle - there was a delay - it was a bit like having a heavy flywheel attached. This did clear as the engine warmed up.

This IACV - what's it's puprpose?

Cheers

Simon

The IACV is the engine management's throttle for it to control tickover, it opens it to let more air in.

I do remember all sorts of odd things happening when the connection to my throttle pot came loose, but the most obvious fault was a massive flat-spot at low revs.

I had a hunting K series after a service. Also rev's would drop back to 1000 but would stay at 2000 very annoying when sittig in traffic as the engine would get hotter more quickly!

defintialy check the IACV loads in archive on this issue. search away :-)

Gavin

Striving to offer no value what so ever!

Simon

Just had a similar problem at the Club sprint at Cadwell last weekend. Engine (K1600 SS EU2) would not idle and died lower than about 1500 revs.

Disconnected IACV and cleaned it out (blew on it) but no better.

Wisdom of the paddock was to reset the ECU - turn the engine off, turn ignition back on but don't start the engine, slowly press accelerator pedal to the floor 5 times, turn off iginition, turn back on and start the engine - worked a treat *thumbup* 😬

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.