Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure gauge issue - UPDATE

Neil_K

My oil pressure gauge is worrying me. It reads almost zero at idle but jumps to 2 when given revs but never moves from there. At idle drops to near zero again.

I've checked everything - oil level is perfect and oil is fresh, temp is fine, no noticable leaks, car drives fine etc etc. I've had it out all day today and it's not skipped a beat. I've looked back through the archives and similar problems seem to be with the sender or gauge. Is this likely? If so, how easy & expensive is it to fix and what can be done to stop re-occurance in the future? I obviously don't want to drive it if the pressure really is near zero!

Car is a a 1.8 VVC with apollo tank - 7 years old with low milage (if that makes a difference?)

Thanks in advance

N

Edited by - Neil_K on 17 Mar 2007 18:06:21

Neil

I have a 2001 VVC car with 32k on the clock and am on my 3rd sender. They cost about £30 to replace and it is a 5 minute job. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine when the sender is almost completely gone.

I could fit a 'proper' one, but it hasn't been enough of a problem to motivate me to change it. I end up changing it every couple of years once the idle pressure drops to less than 1 bar.

Steve

I have had 6 oil pressure senders on 2 Caterhams over 40000 miles. Latest one is the best/worst yet and indicates 7 in the gears when cold and 5/6 in general running when warm. Experience tells me it should be 4 when warm ! (Other failures have been Rev Counter, Speedo, fuel gauge, 2 water temp senders, 2 brake light switches and wipers..... Note..... all electrical items and all fitted by CC and not by me..... Nothing I have put together has failed on either car !)

On St Moritz trip in 2005 lost oil pressure totally on the Furka pass and all the way to UK and on the way back from Reims water temperature went past 120 into the black. Engine ran faultlessly.

In view of the poor quality of the Caerbont gauges, I sometimes wonder if anything more than a fuel gauge and a speedo is neccessary. If you haven't got them then there is nothing to worry about !!!

Neil

I have just had the same problem with my K. Ordered new sender from Caterham (£27.66 + VAT), delivered the next day *thumbup*, fitted it at the weekend - took no more than a few minutes. Started engine, problem solved - oil pressure back to what it should be and a needle that doesn't think it should be on rev counter 😬

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

Edited by - Kipper on 12 Mar 2007 08:09:17

• Area Representative

Sounds very much like the oil pressure sender, but assume the foam baffle is changed regularly as this can break up and block the pick up and restrict oil flow.

The senders are notoriously poor. Appears that they get water in them which leads to early failure.

TOP TIP - put a bit of silicone around the plastic and metal where the spade contact is. There's a bit of a gap which can allow water in. I did it on my last one and so far so good - it has lasted longer than any previous senders.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

www.lads7.co.uk

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Mechanical guage run off a capilliary tube is the best option. Costs about £75 (about 2 CC senders when you include postage) and give a relaible and accurate (not heavily damped) reading.

Think Auto can supply a kit of parts which IIRC are listed in the 7FAQ (link top of this page).

Takes all the worry about is it the sender or is the engine dying?

Steve.

West Sussex AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Your most reliable /cheap is to replace the gauge with a mechanical unit most off my racing pals use them on everything from a race imp engine to a full blown cosworth BDG, needless to say a faulty oil pressure gauge on a BDG is a sight more expensive than a cooking spec K series.

OK, I finally got round to replacing the sender today - and got a covering of oil for my troubles.

The outcome - the gauge now reads pressure but I still don't think it's right. Gauge is still jumpy and fairly inaccurate from what I can tell. Sits on '4' when cruising but is all over the place when idle. I'm convinced these sender things are just rubbish, but it's certainly a lot better than it was.

So a mechainical set-up is the way forward. Anyone with mechanical set-up going to Brands next weekend who'd be willing to show me what they've done, it'd be most appreciated *thumbup*

Neil,

On my 4th one in 26500 miles (New March 2003) Try putting some of that bathtub mastic around the area where the electrical connector is sealed(??) to the metal body.. I am told it helps to keep the water out. I have also covered the whole thing with the plastic top from a spray can. you can cut little bits away to get a good fit and slot through one of those little plastic strap things to hold it on. It then will have some protection from road dirt and water.

Latest sender is totally inaccurate...... 6/7 on cold start in the gears and 6 at steady 70 MPH dropping to 4 at town speeds 2 on tickover....... 3 to 4 is normal from past experience over 42,000 Caterham miles. But better more than less !!

HUGH Robinson.

Essex

Neil,

I plan to be at Brands and have the mechanical setup using parts from Think. You're welcome to have anose around. I'll blatmail you my mobile number and reg number so you can contact me when you're there.

Steve.

West Sussex AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear