Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rubber mud flaps on fibreglass cycle wings

Have seen a few examples now. Seems like a great way to reduce the dirt and stone damage on the side panels and rear wings.

Don't really want to drill holes in the cycle wings - knowing my luck something will crack.

Would like to use a suitable adhesive product to stick rubber flaps inside the lower edge of the cycle wings - looking in a 'ScrewFix' catalogue, there are so many products. Love the look of the Evo Stik product "Sticks like Sh*t" (sic). Wonder if it does what it says on the tube !!

Anyway - someone must have experience of this - what did you use ?

Thanks

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.

Hello,

You can get the rubber from Demon Tweaks. I made some brackets that hung down from the rear/back wing stay that the wing bolts to.

Unfortunantly, all my hard work went to waste when the exhaust primary collector melted one flap on a track day a few years ago.

Havent bothered with them since.

Chris P

or - as I have now discovered - ask your friendly neighbourhood gasket supplier if you can filch some offcuts of nice thick neoprene sheet, and discover he would be only too glad to donate some, in recognition of the business he has been getting !! *thumbup*

And then you reverse up a step, catch the conveyor belting mud flap between wheel and step and hear a very lound noise of fibreglass tearing apart.

Happily that was on the trials Dutton - and it was a foot high step. Bit of matting and resin and it's fine.

Afraid my rear wings show what I think of mudflaps - and the roll bar just by my ear where the cow muck normally lands 😬

Bri

Photos?

....here

....here

....here

Method of attachment, best follow John Aston's advice, mine are just drilled and riveted but then I'm a butcher *tongue* and anyway I was intending to fit CF CSR wings later, as I like the flat tops for Beer and Sarnies, saves carrying a table 😬

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Ooh - now you're talking !!

Will try with bolts and glass fibre resin for starters.

Thanks for photos UncleFester - don't drive off with the camera bag on the boot ?!

• 6 months later...

Very heavy addition to a 7. ☹️ Unsprung mass too! *thumbdown*

If you pull a straight string from the contact patch of the tyre (from where stones are launched) to the base of the rear wheel arch, that indicates how low the flaps need to be to stop stones hitting the rear arches. They need to be about 3/4" off the road. Too low to be practical.

I just fitted my front wings back to front to improve aerodynamics. They still look good as the rear end of the wing behind the wheel is still a little lower than the leading edge.

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

I don't have a problem with them hitting the rear arches.

There is a stainless panel there to take the knocks, and a larhe patch of armorfend.

You are of course, assuming stones travel in a linear fashion, which they don't. *wink*

It does not stop them all the stones, but it seems to have stopped them coming into the car *thumbup*

As for the weight, I think the rubber is lighter than am adjustable passeger seat runner set up, which I don't have on my carbon fibre tillets *tongue*

I also run CR500's and not fat boy Yokos *tongue*, but my car is painted, which adds weight too 😳 And I have a 290mm steering wheel when a 260mm would be lighter *wink*

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

• 8 months later...

Seems like a very old thread, but I figured I'd chime in as well. Was driving in the wet on Saturday after picking up my car from CC Midlands. The best driving feeling I've had in a while ever with the full hood up. Even my wife loved every minute of it *thumbup*

Anyhow, lots and lots of dirts and cow crap was flying upwards, mucking up everything at the back. So I decided to do the flaps as well. I had spare CF wing protectors since I never fitted them (CF rear wings), so I just cut one up into two 6" long pieces and attached to the cycle wings. They fit very well and look great. Also, they do not flap around. So far, no scrapes, but will have to see in the future. Cut on dirt drastically. *thumbup*

Thanks! *thumbup* It is indeed so much fun.

I was expecting it to be much worse actually. Apart from getting in and out, trapped manure smell that tended to linger for a while, and a bit of heat build up from the footwell, it was not bad at all. 😬