Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exploding Bulbs

Ian Barkley

Recently the rear lights failed, and on investigation both brake/side light bulbs had a hole in the glass!

I fitted new bulbs and it appears that the side lights turn on the brake light filament and vice versa...

I assume this is an earth problem [or some strange sabotage with a soldering iron]

Where do I start to erradicate this problem?

Thanks Ian

Misbehaving rear lights often an earth problem.

Assume bulbs can only be fitted right way round, i.e. the pins on the bayonet of the bulb cannot be forced into the holder the wrong way round ? This would do it a treat !

Holes in the glass !! Not touching the reflectors are they ? If so - bend the bracket a little so they clear.

Found my rear lights full of water. Drained, cleaned, and put a spot of clear silicone in the three openings at the top of the black housing !! Left bottom one open to hopefully let water out.

Looking for LED rear lights. Anyone got any tips on source ?

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.

At a guess, I'd say your blubs are in round the wrong way. Sometimes the locating pins are a bit bent or even missing allowing them to be put in either way round.

I've been looking for some LED lights as well, even tried looking around some (motor)bike web shops , but without success. The ones that have been fitted to some CSRs are a bit big for my liking.

Thanks for that.

How about watertight light clusters though ?

The existing cut out at the bottom of the black housing where it meets the lens doesn't let the water out, due to the slope of the back panel. Is it normal to drill a small hole of two at the lowest point of the black housing ?

And - as for the rear fog and reverse lamp housings - rounded housing with rectangular lens - huge gaps !!