Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Polishing Stainless exhaust

CageyH

I am not looking for a mirrored finish, as it will tarnish quickly, but what is the best way to remove the marks caused by manufacture etc. and give a reasonable finish?

I really can't be 🙆🏻'd to spend hours doing it, as cars are built for driving, not polishing!

Cagey

I used wet emery paper in increasingly finer grades (400 to 1600) to get a shiny finish to the exhaust. It isn't perfect and goes goldish quite quickly, but it only took me an hour to take it from 3 years of tarnish to shiny.

I probably spend about 20 mins a year keeping it respectable now, so a mirror finish need not be that bad if you settle for 'it'll do' and don't worry about minor dings and scratches.

Steve

Just had my new 4-2-1 exhaust sand blasted. Some of the scratches from manufacture are still visible, but it gives a very nice even surface which I managed to shine-up quite easily with Scotchbrite - the finish is best described as satin rather than mirror *cool*

How sad am I - gave it a stroke when I passed it in the garage just now *eek*

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Whatever you do don't use wire wool. The steel wool lodges in the stainless and will rust. Hard to believe maybe but been there and got the tee-shirt. Wet and dry or 3M non woven abrasive pads on a die grinder are the way to go. Then a felt bob and polishing compound.

I've just done mine with the Frosts £20.00 polishing kit - 3 grades of mop and compound. It took about 3 hours and the end result, whilst not perfect, is very acceptable. I used up less than 50% of the compound so I guess the cost was <£10.00.

And it was rather satisfying changing a rather manky exhaust into a thing of beauty!!!

Cheers

NigelJ

Ta Dave *thumbup*

Will do in a few weeks. Tintop is off the road till next week, so need the car *thumbup*

🙅🏻‍♂️Schizophrenic Cagey says 🙅🏻‍♂️

I am a man of many personalities
How else could he explain his multiple *evil* usernames? *nono*

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Why not consider Camcoat and their 'Cermakrome' finish? It gives the exhaust a kind of anodised aluminium look but shinier IYSWIM, and the best bit is you need never polish it again. It never discolours and only needs a wipe over with a damp cloth when you wash the car to retain its looks. *thumbup*

I've had the exhaust on both my 7's done and very effective it is too, with the added benefit of keeping the heat down in the engine bay.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Brent,

Tell me more *wink*

What is the approximate cost?

Where can I get it done?

🙅🏻‍♂️Schizophrenic Cagey says 🙅🏻‍♂️

I am a man of many personalities
How else could he explain his multiple *evil* usernames? *nono*

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Well I've done 8k in the new car and when I saw my old car last November, the new owner had done 16k I think it was and neither car exhibits any chips on the leading edge of the primaries.

I have been on some bloody awful roads in France which were covered in loose chippings and although the painted panels have suffered badly and I could hear the gravel pinging on the zorst, there is absolutely no evidence of damage - so there Mr Pieman *wink*

Seriously, it is very good *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 18 Feb 2007 17:20:39