Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Emerald K3 upgrade

mjdm

Received my Emerald back last friday after having the K3 upgrade and have spent the weekend fitting it back in along with an LC-1 wide band oxygen sensor. I've now set the ECU to run in a mixture of closed-loop and adaptive modes (dependent on load and speed sites). Over the evening I've taken it out a couple of times and it's definitely running a lot better than it was in open loop mode before the upgrade *smile*. The next step is to see how well the closed-loop correction mapping works over the next few weeks.

The only slight problem is I can't read the map back from the ECU (I can write to the ECU, no problem) so can't see how the corrction table looks yet *mad* This is probably a serial port communications problem and I'm waiting to hear back from Karl for his thoughts.

The upgrade is definitely worthwhile *thumbup*, congratulations to Dave & Karl for bringing it out !

Mike

Not sure if it's just a firmware upgrade or whether there is a bit more to it than that. The guys at Emerald upgraded the ECU in a little over a week (bit of a backlog due to the Autosport show).

The upgrade allows the ECU to work in adaptive mode, closed-loop or open-loop modes. It creates a correction table to allow the existing map to be updated based on the output from the oxygen sensor.

I'm using an Innovate LC-1 (about £130 quid from Bill Shurvinton - another top bloke *thumbup*) but apparently you can use a number of suitable wide band sensors.

There is a brochure produced by Emerald detailing what is available with the K3 upgrade (also includes upto 3 maps in memory, exhaust gas temperature, variable sensor settings, wheel speed sensor inputs, boost control etc, etc)

Mike

Edited by - mjdm on 4 Feb 2007 22:41:52

Had a reply from Karl to say there are some known problems with some USB adapters so I guess a software update probably won't help *confused*, thanks anyway Oily

The closed-loop part of the manual isn't available yet but from looking at the software it appears that the self mapping requires a base map that is reasonably close to begin with. There are limits to the variance in AFR, beyond which I guess the nonlinearity of the whole engine/induction system makes it unreasonable to try and interpolate the required injection settings. I may have this completely wrong but it looks like the self-mapping works as long as the measured AFR is within +/- 1 of the target AFR. So to self map the whole load/speed site range would require some human interaction to make some estimates as to what to do with the sites that are out of the bounds of the software to bring them close enough for the ECU to take over and do it's stuff.

I'm sure there are others out there that can give the definitive (correct !) answer *smile*

Mike

After I almost got chucked off by the Brands marshals for delicately toasting the side of that Elise, I don't think so!

It's mainly a road problem because it's annoying having to negotiate roundabounts with a dipped clutch. Also for when you actually want to get past someone chucking up huge amounts of spray in the wet. See - lots of upgraditis justifications *smile*