Click here if you are having website access problems ×

trickle chargers

Lali

• Area Representative

Hi,

I have been thinking of getting one of these trickle chargers as well for my car. I know that the Optimate haas a well proven reputation but at £45'ish is it worth almost double the Race Tec one at £25? Does anyone know what else you get for your money? Will the Race tec one "recondition" the battery back to full strength from zero charge as the Optimate one seems to do?

Also, is there a simple way of connecting the leads to the battery rather than removing the bonnet and (precariously) storing it in the garage whilst the car is sitting charging. I wondered if a cigarette lighter socket mounted under the dash might be an answer but then it would require a different power lead from the charger.

Any comments appreciated.

Nick

Nick,

My trickle charger is connected to the battery via a socket on the dashboard.

Cut off the crocodile clips from the charger lead and insert a socket into the dashboard. Connect the socket directly to the battery with an appropriate amount of charger lead. Fit jack plug directly onto the remaining end of the charger lead. Place jack plug in socket in dashboard, switch on charger. Leave garage. Job done.

The only additional item that is required that didn't come with the trickle charger (mine's an AirFlow)was the jack plug/socket combo.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

Nick,

The blurb on the Optimate would suggest that it tries to maintain battery condition by periodically de-charging and then re-charging the battery. Thus it constantly checks the state of the battery for accepting charge.

Whether any of this makes it worth double the price of another charger I don't know. It works well, and I am happy to leave it connected for extended periods. You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.

I have used an Optimate charger for a number of years now on a bike without any problems, in this case it was conected all the time with the alarm armed. However having used it on the car I'm not sure if it affects the imobiliser or not, because having charged the car (VVC) for a number of days i had a problem disarming the car and had to press both buttons at the same time on the fob to sort the problem. I now use the charger without the car being armed. It may have been my fault for attaching it with the imobiliser armed in the first place!!!.

only one thought to add to the connection issues is that the Optimate connector on the one i have does not have an in line fuse and would have thought that that would be a usefull safety item.

Mark Bennett

Edited by - markb905 on 19 Mar 2002 17:21:10

• Area Representative

Thanks for the advice. I think a fly lead under the dash sounds a good idea to minimise any drilling and to save removing the bonnet after each trip.

Still undecided on whether to spend the extra £'s but probably be able to justify somehow to myself!

Cheers

Nick

Hi,

I use an Optimate on the Bike, have had it for 6 years still works fine.

I use a Race Technology one for the seven. I have the fly leads attached on both vehicles, the Sevens as Chris has done but I've not vetured to a socket in the dash I just tuck the lead away when I drive.

As to performance of the two chargers they both seem to do the same everyday job, no complaints. I have recharged a car battery from not even a glimmer to carry on for another two years with the Optimate but never tried it with the Race Technology charger.

The Optimate seems better made and does as it claims so it's handy to have around, on balance if you can justify the extra money thats the one I would buy.

Andy